Remote Access Question

Started by Aaron, January 25, 2010, 09:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbeals

Ideally it would sit out in front, but it doesn't have to. What I did was simply tell the router to redirect all VPN traffic to a second NIC on my server. That NIC I named "external". The other NIC I named "internal" and set it up from there. One of things you'll have to do is make sure that there are DHCP addresses available to hand out, so you'll need a DHCP server. You might be able to define a range manually, I don't remember.

It would be well worth the money to have an IT guy come in for this. There's nothing "sensitive" on my network or computers that I am worried about someone else seeing. But on your network I'm sure there is payroll and other personal information somewhere on the network or on a network resource. Be very careful or better yet bring someone in who explicitly knows how how to set up a VPN.

Apple's VPN services work just fine too, but it's been a long while since I set up VPN services on Mac OS X Server.

One nice thing about Windows Remote Access Services is that users can be restricted to times or locations of log-in. I can set my son up so he can log-in from his laptop when he's at school but not from other locations.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Aaron

that's cool that you can specify remote access locations. That sounds like a good feature. So you don't think the Xserver can do that?

Thanks for all the input Matt. I'm going to approach the owner and see what he wants to do.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mattbeals

Yes, Mac OS X Server *can* be a VPN server too. No problem with that.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Aaron

I meant the restrictions stuff. Access points. But no worries. I'm going to go googling for a while.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mattbeals

Oh, sorry. I would imagine that Mac OS X Server can do the same thing. Like I said, it's been a while since I've set one up. At the time I had no need for access restrictions. Last year when I put m VPN in I did need to set certain restrictions.
Matt Beals

Aaron