Apple Certified Technician

Started by tapdn, January 15, 2010, 01:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

That is exactly why I am getting out now, Joe. I have about ridden this horse as far as it is going and my company made me an offer at the right time. My job now is mainly pushing PDFs thru an automated workflow- it's not prepresss as I once knew it. The passion is gone.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

frailer

Feeling this more and more as well. Loathe to be too specific on a public area of the forum, but our print stuff, sales, as well as the included ads, are in decline. It's as though there's a demographic ground movement going on, specially in the entertainment area we're in/around.
6 years ago, there were 3 people flat chat. Now it's 1.3, so to speak. PDF work flow, for want of a better term, seems to have matured in the last year for us.
But wait until the next gen A2 digital presses start hitting. It's not just prepress people in the cross-hairs. In fact there have been hints that some opportunities may open up there for pp people to run those. It's nearly all front-end stuff running them.   :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

But I thought Macs don't break?  :evil:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 20, 2010, 11:37:42 AMBut I thought Macs don't break?  :evil:

Grab a seat because you will need to be sitting for this news.

Macs break too.

Shocking huh?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

youston

Quote from: Joe on January 19, 2010, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: youston on January 19, 2010, 05:45:02 PM
Quote from: Slappy on January 19, 2010, 04:36:05 PMI don't believe it will last though, and the way shops are just prone to close without any warning whatsoever, I feel like I'd better have another skill ready, ya know?

Learn how to write for and use a complex cross-media variable data program. Become fluent writing sql queries. Learn how to use a robust database platform like SQL. Learn PHP and ASP, and how to create PURL sites. Position yourself in a company that does a lot of one-to-one marketing type stuff. Marketing is absolutely never going away, and when the printing side wanes, you can easily make the jump over to the Internet side.

I really, REALLY didn't want to be taken out of prepess and plopped down in the programming department, but I can honestly say that had I not made that change, I would be looking for a job right now. (Well, actually, I *am* looking for another job, kinda, but I wouldn't be doing it from the position of having a job while I was looking.)

It's a natural extension of the skill set you've developed in your prepress job -- actually, I've had to learn a TON more about Illustrator and Photoshop since making the move -- and it gives you security moving forward (until global oneness of thought makes the Internet unnecessary ... you're on your own after that).

Hey Professor, what time does class start? I'm ready to learn.

If you work for a company like mine, class starts as soon as you launch your browser and teach *yourself* how to do your new job.  :cry:

Farabomb

:laugh:

I'm well aware Macs break but if you're looking for a career maybe a A+ or MCSE would do you better. Wait, that's what I went to school for and I ended up in prepress.  :huh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

tapdn

Quote from: Farabomb on January 20, 2010, 12:19:29 PM:laugh:

I'm well aware Macs break but if you're looking for a career maybe a A+ or MCSE would do you better. Wait, that's what I went to school for and I ended up in prepress.  :huh:

Someone's not listening  :laugh:
Not looking for a new career. Just something to keep me a wee bit busy after retirement and maybe make some spending money.
Like you I am self taught and been "working on Macs for years, but not certified.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

youston

Quote from: tapdn on January 20, 2010, 12:24:53 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on January 20, 2010, 12:19:29 PM:laugh:

Someone's not listening  :laugh:
Not looking for a new career. Just something to keep me a wee bit busy after retirement and maybe make some spending money.

Have you considered a paper route?   :grin:

tapdn

don't you have local people or coworkers you need to be torturing?  :tongue:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

David

got a Mac here at work that someone felt the need to change the system fonts on...

all the pull down menus are blank, can't open any folders or apps, and the dock went MIA.

ahh, keeps me busy I guess.

oh, forgot, I will be certifiable by the end of the day, just not as a Mac tech.
anybody got a gun I can borrow, just need it for a few minutes, I swear, I'll even wipe it clean

:cool:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: tapdn on January 20, 2010, 12:28:16 PMdon't you have local people or coworkers you need to be torturing?  :tongue:

Nah, I can torture them any time I please. It's a less-frequent occasion when I get to torture YOU!  :laugh:

Possum

Quote from: david on January 20, 2010, 12:57:42 PMgot a Mac here at work that someone felt the need to change the system fonts on...

all the pull down menus are blank, can't open any folders or apps, and the dock went MIA.

ahh, keeps me busy I guess.

oh, forgot, I will be certifiable by the end of the day, just not as a Mac tech.
anybody got a gun I can borrow, just need it for a few minutes, I swear, I'll even wipe it clean

:cool:

See, Macs don't break, co-workers just screw them up!
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

hotmetal

Looking back, I see that about every 10 years or so since the 1984 Macintosh commercial, I've had that same great idea of becoming a Mac Technician and/or Consultant. I took a 3 day course around 1992 in Mac repair, paid the $900 out of my own pocket. I'd been laid off by a typeshop and was collecting unemployment.  Didn't so much learn specific useful stuff (how to take apart a IIci? Whoohoo!) but what I did learn was that Macs were just machines, like Chevys, and that I actually could fix and rebuild them.

I ran ads in local papers, got a little consultant work, though mostly through friends in the graphic industry. Bought tools and stuff. What I found was that not many people needed help with their Macs, and no one needed repeat help. Once you fixed them up, they pretty much stayed fixed. Just like the industry data shows:  Macs need way, way less support than peecees.

I looked into Apple Technician training 5 or 6 years ago and decided there wasn't enough time to get into it before I retired. I also found out that the techs at Apple stores made a lot less than I make in prepress. Who needs that aggravation?

Meanwhile, I note with interest that the slightly more savvy laid-off business guy types who've been taking classes in the building trades in recent years are finding that there are no job openings whatsoever for entry-level carpenters, electricians, and plumbers, especially cocky 38 year old over-educated ones.

Doomed...

Meanwhile, I've been an organic gardener for 40 years, we grow a lot of our own vegetables, and I haven't eaten meat in 20 years. Maybe survival is possible, especially if you don't need to be raising and slaughtering your own cattle and pigs? We're considering getting some chickens. You can do that in Minneapolis as long as you don't have a rooster!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

ratintrap

Quote from: youston on January 20, 2010, 12:26:15 PMHave you considered a paper route?   :grin:

Not sure how long that gig would last. :undecided:

tapdn

~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb