"Apple's New Technology Could Revolutionize Professional Printing"

Started by youston, April 19, 2010, 10:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 19, 2010, 10:57:43 AMCould be the Holy Grail of Prepress if it works.

Pshaw! Do you need to spend a few moments reading Joe's sig?

andyfest

Sounds like a set of adjustable filters in the monitor that convert RGB to CMYK.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on April 19, 2010, 11:08:08 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 19, 2010, 10:57:43 AMCould be the Holy Grail of Prepress if it works.

Pshaw! Do you need to spend a few moments reading Joe's sig?

No. I did say, "IF it works."
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

So all of your customers will have to switch to the "Mac OS + using Apple approved monitors + prepress using Apple approved monitors = pipe dream". It's no coincidence that there are very few customer/prepress color managed setups at the present time. Basically it's because no one wants to go to the trouble/expense of setting it all up. I don't see that changing even with Steve Jobs waving his magic wand.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

go ahead and "pre-order" one...

it'll be here by Q1 next year, or maybe Q2, or possibly later...

all the kids are doing it!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

But, print is dead, and Apple is driving one of the last nails in the coffin with the whole e-book business. Why would they even bother to spend the money to bring something like like this to market, for the infinitesimally small percentage of possible sales?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on April 19, 2010, 12:21:39 PMBut, print is dead, and Apple is driving one of the last nails in the coffin with the whole e-book business. Why would they even bother to spend the money to bring something like like this to market, for the infinitesimally small percentage of possible sales?

Probably just so they can sue anyone that produces anything similar. Much better money in lawsuits than printing.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

:laugh:  I love the dry humor of prepressers.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

jimking

Captain_Type

I wonder if it helps at all with spot colors as well. I imagine that would be difficult, especially if the colors were not using a naming convention.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

mwc

Quote from: Captain_Type on April 19, 2010, 01:21:59 PMI wonder if it helps at all with spot colors as well. I imagine that would be difficult, especially if the colors were not using a naming convention.

I'm assuming that Metallics, Pastels, and Scratch n'Sniff will be available as an monitor surface option pack...

ratintrap

This, is bad grammer, ain't it?

QuoteBut a patent application filed last September suggests that Apple (AAPL) may have a new approach that would make the process more easier and more accurate, saving publishers, retailers, advertisers, and marketers of all stripes plenty of time, money, and aggravation.