Feedback on Intel Mac installation using OS 10.6 SL

Started by andyfest, December 07, 2010, 07:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

We finally completed our install of the two Intel Mac Pro towers and the imac in our prepress dept, replacing the old, but reliable, G5 PPC's (running 10.4.11 Tiger) that we were using. Emails from two of our larger clients stating that they would be upgrading to CS5 forced the move at our end, so I thought I'd give a little feedback now that we have been using our new machines for a month or so. We have not received any CS5 files yet, so I can't really say beyond test files whether we like it or not. All the techs here are unanimous in their dislike of SL's finder. The feedback I've been getting is that there doesn't seem to be any real advantages with the new OS as far as an appreciable difference in speed of either processing or file transfers.
The free version of FEX does seem to be working rather flawlessly though, which is a relief. Nexus Manager and Nexus Edit also seem to be working well with the new OS. The biggest problem we have been experiencing is frequent crashes with Illy CS2/CS3/CS4 (sudden app quit), which take out any mods we have made. All other programs seem to be working ok. I have kept two of our old G5's on-line in case we need to do something "crash-free". I'd appreciate hearing about any other experiences people have had after the migration from PPC - Intel esp. SL.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

David

Mine has been working without a hitch. (Knock on wood) We've been getting more and more CS5 files, and fewer Quark files.

what type of errors/crash reports are you getting when the CS 2/3/4 apps crash?
what "mods" are you referring to?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Chilbear

Have just changed my HD in my iMac and reloaded SL plus a fresh version of all programs , save for Quark and notice it is quite stable and faster than my previously migrated system. Like everyone - CS5 and using the paid version of Suitcase.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

10.6.5 Intel here. Finder sucks. Viewing files on the Prinergy server takes a while and often shows empty folders even though they are not. Don't even think of deleting files on the server from the Mac. It will hang. Arcobat 8 and 9 will crash on quit if you add/delete anything from the tool bar.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 07, 2010, 09:34:41 AM10.6.5 Intel here. Finder sucks. Viewing files on the Prinergy server takes a while and often shows empty folders even though they are not. Don't even think of deleting files on the server from the Mac. It will hang. Arcobat 8 and 9 will crash on quit if you add/delete anything from the tool bar.

Just wondering if you've tried running Applejack? Sounds like you have some issues going on that are not normal for Snow Leopard. Specifically Repair Permissions. I prefer Applejack to the Apple Disk utility for repairing permissions.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Ran applejack last week when I was slow. I was thinking the same thing but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Bit slow today as well, might run it again. Defraged the server drive at the same time. The NIC in the server is the last to come online for some reason. I still think there is something wrong with the box itself but Kodak needs convincing.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Are you using AFP or SMB to access the Prinergy shares?

Joe

Farabomb, have a look at this PDF.

[smg id=581 type=av]

Farabomb

Smb and I'll check out that PDF. Just ran Applejack AUTO as well.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Protracted move-over here, but cruisin' now. Dragging my feet on decommissioning G5s. Plan is to leave one in place. We haven't had a Quark file in recent times, (touch wood). We get a lot of CS5 files from clients, including our in-house now.
I find the Finder networking hookups slow at times, but the GUI's better, I think. Seem to be able to click on Volumes to mount from a list, rather than go through the steps to mount each one, as in 10.4. Managed to get sorted with help from here. Bit of a nightmare initially; mainly XMF Server hookup.
Seems reasonably stable overall. Using FEX Pro working well. Do get Acrobat 9 Pro crashed at times. Have had some freezes on the iMacs. Had to button off. Start back in Safe Mode...run all the usual...applejack.
Thanks for the reminder on 10.6.6. Need to do all 3 Macs today.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

andyfest

Thanks for your feedback everyone. To answer David we are still using 10.6.4 that the boxes came loaded with. Do the 10.6.5 / 10.6.6 updates improve stability? The app crashes are accompanied with the usual Adobe "crash" report, with a window to report the crash. The "mods" are file fixes or manual traps that we have implemented. We are strictly folding cartons here and 99% of our files are received in Illy. When the app crashes it takes down any changes we have made.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

frailer

Quote from: andyfest on December 07, 2010, 02:35:19 PMDo the 10.6.5 / 10.6.6 updates improve stability?

Dunno, but I'll let you know in half an hour.    :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Not sure on the release dates of OS 10.6.x updates and CS5 but it couldn't hurt to have the latest SL updates. (maybe)

Chilbear

Make sure your CS5 updates are done, my reinstall had not forced the update since it was set on install to look in 30 days I believe.