Feedback on Intel Mac installation using OS 10.6 SL

Started by andyfest, December 07, 2010, 07:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Changes applied, hopefully I will see a difference.

Pretty sure Apple would rather not have people poking around with root access. Figure Kodak would rather not as well. Maybe that's why they felt that bit out. If you are smart enough to figure out how you should be smart enough to modify things without screwing everything up.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 21, 2010, 02:25:22 PMThis is a 'bug' of sorts, right? Are they likely to fix this in 10.7...whatever? Must be talking about 5% max of Mac users would be up to trying this...   :undecided:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Apple to fix it. It affects anyone using network drives. SMB and AFP.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 21, 2010, 02:29:54 PMChanges applied, hopefully I will see a difference.

Pretty sure Apple would rather not have people poking around with root access. Figure Kodak would rather not as well. Maybe that's why they felt that bit out. If you are smart enough to figure out how you should be smart enough to modify things without screwing everything up.

You should notice the difference in Workshop immediately after a reboot of the Mac.

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 21, 2010, 03:36:49 PMIf I had workshop, yes.  :laugh:

I thought EVO was just Prinergy without the database? :wtf:

Joe

One thing I like about Snow Leopard in Prepress...

When looking at a Finder window of our FTP site...when customers upload files the file size keeps growing right in the finder window as it uploads without any kind of refresh. Just like the OS 9 days. It only took them 6 major revisions to get there. :sarcasm:

Joe

Chilbear

Very nice illustration. Interesting clients too - "KY Outside..." :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Chilbear on December 21, 2010, 08:40:09 PMVery nice illustration. Interesting clients too - "KY Outside..." :laugh:

Ha Ha Ha...I actually changed the video to protect the guilty. The bastids upgraded to Quark 8 this week and their files, as you can see, are huge. Around 130 mb for 30 pages.

Farabomb

Got you beat. 24pg calendar 2.18g.

Had a 10.2 meg PDF come out of prinergy refine as a 85 meg PDF.  :huh:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 22, 2010, 08:59:31 AMGot you beat. 24pg calendar 2.18g.

Had a 10.2 meg PDF come out of prinergy refine as a 85 meg PDF.  :huh:

A not so funny story about this customer that upgraded to Quark 8.5...I had been encouraging them to upgrade to InDesign for months. They called last night and thanked me and told me I was responsible for them being able to upgrade. So according to them it was ME that got them Quark 8.5. :puke: I protested.

gnubler

That's sick, man.

Why are people voluntarily upgrading quark?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Their operators wanted InDesign but their management made the decision to upgrade from Q 6.5. Cheaper I assume.

Farabomb

They were running a 2 for 1 deal for a while. It was Magic!

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

:laugh: The magic is that the company isn't bankrupt yet. I will take pleasure in their demise...though I'd prefer if they would get their sh!t together and release a product that works and is *fun* to use like InDesign is...lololol. I think it's too far gone at this point in time.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david