Suggestions for a new Mac

Started by Bakerman, March 18, 2015, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I bought applecare and was happy to pay for it and never have to use it.

Same goes with a good, manufacturer backed extended car warranty.

The BS ones Best Buy tries to sell you aren't worth it though.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Oh man, you're spot on. Those little zit-faced Best Buy monkeys try to push that shit too. Don't fall for it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Bakerman

Thanks for the replies so far. I had not considered the Mac Mini's doubt if I would do that, as far as fixing it if it goes south well I just work here LOL. They are already getting more than they pay for outta me. It's been 6 years since I've gotten ANY increase in salary. So I just do what is needed. Boss wants a new computer fine by me. Someone else gets my current machine. I will get the new one.

Best Buy lost all my business years ago. Biggest rip off since Comp USA.

It looks like I will be getting an iMac 21" if one can be found. Want to check with Kodak first to see whats on the Prinergy / Workshop horizon.

Thanks again.

SB

wonderings

The Mac Minis are ok, but you are limited. It maxes out at 16 gigs of ram and you can no longer upgrade that after purchase. Also, there is no option for a GPU, no upgrades at the time of purchase. For me personally the bare minimum is a 21" iMac. I like the 27" partly because of the screen size, but also because you can at least upgrade the ram and not limited to 16 gigs. Also the specs and GPU are better.

Side note, do we really need the verification after every reply? Taking me 5 tries to respond to a simple post. No need for Fort Knox security here.

Joe

I hadn't even thought about that setting since changing the forum software. It was set to 10 posts before not requiring the verification. I've changed it to 3 so you should be good to go now.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2015, 12:54:55 PMI hadn't even thought about that setting since changing the forum software. It was set to 10 posts before not requiring the verification. I've changed it to 3 so you should be good to go now.
Thanks. I thought it happened every single time you posted, not just till you reached a certain number of posts. I would not have said a thing if I had known that. I have never seen that function on other forums. Thanks though!

Bakerman

Thanks for the replies. I ended up with an iMac . Been upgrading since last Monday: Yosemite, Creative Cloud Quark 10. I am having some connectivity issues with the other Macs in my Department. Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

Bman

Joe

I strictly use SMB only and not AFP (so I can't comment on AFP) but haven't had any network issues with any other Macs running OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10. Any OS older than that might have issues though. Some network weirdness with our Windows 2008 server too but that was solved by setting up a hosts file on the mac. That might help with any networking issues to both Mac or PC's.

David

Quote from: Bakerman on April 20, 2015, 07:52:56 AM... Been upgrading since last Monday: Yosemite, Creative Cloud Quark 10.

Bman

oh my, that just sounds nasty...
You may need a new vaccination for that, or at least a good antihistamine.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: david on April 20, 2015, 08:53:50 AM
Quote from: Bakerman on April 20, 2015, 07:52:56 AM... Been upgrading since last Monday: Yosemite, Creative Cloud Quark 10.

Bman

oh my, that just sounds nasty...
You may need a new vaccination for that, or at least a good antihistamine.
Quark 10 is sooooo last year! Quark 2015 is right around the corner!  :shoots_self:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Bakerman

Yes and when I upgraded I was told it's FREE until May 15th. I freaking HATE Quark.

Farabomb

Gah, I clicked on that link.

I feel so dirty.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 30, 2015, 10:16:28 AMGah, I clicked on that link.

I feel so dirty.

You expected what?

:rotf:

Farabomb

Sadly, that's the best thing that happened to me today.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Maybe someone will come along and kick you in the groin and your day will improve?