High Sierra Upgrade Notification

Started by AaronH, January 24, 2018, 05:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of this notification without clicking details or installing it? Swiping it away doesn't do anything. If you have installed High Sierra, is it compatible with XMF 6.5.2?

Thanks!
Aaron
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Ear

It's an Apple, just stick your head in the sand. See, gone.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

No idea on the XMF but that stupid notification is pissing me off. The only is to click one of the two options both of which brings the app store up. Grrrrrr....
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Preferences->App Store->uncheck Automatically Check for Updates, maybe?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Tried that. It just didn't check for the updates for the current OS. Still bugs you to get High Sierra though.

Slappy

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8181588

QuoteI control/2-finger clicked on the update in App Store & chose 'Hide Update'.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

AaronH

Cool! Thanks Slappy. I hid the update so hopefully it stops notifying me. I'll let you guys know if it doesn't work.

I thought they meant 2 finger click, they mean secondary click, but I found out that if you accidentally click Free Upgrade you can cancel it by holding down option and then clicking.

DigiCorn

What if you accidentally install, and then hide it? Can you still cancel or unhide and cancel? Asking for a friend...  ::)

[edit] Never mind   I  he figured it out.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

AaronH

Hiding the update didn't work. I'll take a look at what you've done born2print.

AaronH

I found and deleted the OSXNotification.bundle in /Library/Bundles that is mentioned in this article. For some reason, born2print's link wasn't working for me. We'll see if it works.

AaronH

Well, that worked for a couple days. The notification is back. Also, it seems to have downloaded the installer in the background anyway. At least I don't remember downloading the installer (Unless cancelling it didn't actually cancel the download).

Joe

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job