Fonts as Zero Bytes on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, November 25, 2019, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys,

I'm getting an interesting issue. For some reason, some of my fonts on the SMB share in InDesign's Document Fonts folder are showing up as Zero Bytes after copying over to it.

On the Desktop, they show as having actual file sizes. Unfortunately the way we have to work here at the shop is on the network, because if I have to do any changes to it, I have to copy back from the server which still produces Zero Byte font files on my desktop.

Any idea why my fonts would show up as Zero Bytes and then of course not work?

Thanks,
Aaron
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

David

AFP versus SMB

These were probably copied over as a AFP server mount at one point and now you are using an SMB mount and it doesn't copy over the Mac resource fork.

A lot of times (YMMV), if you are using Indesign and you also have a "Document Fonts" folder residing next to the ID file, it will recognize them, even tho they are zero K.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

AaronH

That was my problem, InDesign wasn't recognizing the fonts even with the Document Fonts folder in the same location as the INDD file.

That makes sense though about the SMB vs AFP thing though.

I wish we could get our server situation fixed but it's looking like it's not ever going to be fixed.

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on November 25, 2019, 01:47:06 PM
AFP versus SMB

These were probably copied over as a AFP server mount at one point and now you are using an SMB mount and it doesn't copy over the Mac resource fork.

A lot of times (YMMV), if you are using Indesign and you also have a "Document Fonts" folder residing next to the ID file, it will recognize them, even tho they are zero K.
If you are archiving Mac fonts to a Windows server using SMB, .zip the fonts BEFORE copying to the server to maintain them.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Copy the known good fonts to your Mac via AFP. Now copy them back to the server via SMB. From that point on you should be able to copy those fonts back to a Mac via SMB without them going to 0 kb.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

I tried that. The good fonts are on my desktop, from an AFP location, then unzipped since we still can't unzip on the network, then copied to the SMB share. The fonts all have sizes on the desktop but not all of them do on the SMB share. If copied to the desktop from the SMB share, it keeps the ones that have zero bytes as zero.

The fonts that have zero bytes aren't recognized by Adobe.

Joe

Fonts that are zero kb are dead and aren't ever coming back.

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on November 25, 2019, 02:40:45 PM
I tried that. The good fonts are on my desktop, from an AFP location, then unzipped since we still can't unzip on the network, then copied to the SMB share. The fonts all have sizes on the desktop but not all of them do on the SMB share. If copied to the desktop from the SMB share, it keeps the ones that have zero bytes as zero.

The fonts that have zero bytes aren't recognized by Adobe.

So after you have them on the Mac and unzipped and none of them are zero kb and then you copy them via SMB to an SMB mounted share some of them still go to zero kb?

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on November 25, 2019, 02:44:16 PM
So after you have them on the Mac and unzipped and none of them are zero kb and then you copy them via SMB to an SMB mounted share some of them still go to zero kb?

Correct.

Joe

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Just to be sure....when you copy them from the Mac to the NAS that share was mounted via smb?

If you do a get info on the NAS share it shows it is mounted via smb like this?

AaronH

Yep. I've disabled all other forms of connection on the NAS software.

Joe

How old is this NAS again? I know we have discussed this on the other thread but I am suspecting that the NAS may be using SMB 1 while your Mac may be using SMB 2/3 and there are known issues if you mix the two versions of SMB. Other than that I am stumped on your network issues.

AaronH

its 4-5 years old. It does say it is using SMB 3 according to the NAS OS Update Notes.

Joe

Weird. Open a Terminal window on your Mac with your shares mounted and type this in:

smbutil statshares -a

That will tell you the version of SMB all shares are using. I just tried it on my Mac and my NetGear NAS shares are all using SMB 1. My Windows 7 shares are using SMB 2.1 and Windows 2012 R2 Server shares are all using SMB 3.02. And they all seem to be working OK for me.

You may want to take a look at this article too: Fix SMB connection problems for Mac

AaronH

Mine are all using SMB 3.02.

QuoteLast login: Thu Nov 14 14:33:43 on ttys000
You have mail.
Aarons-iMac:~ ncg$ smbutil statshares -a

==================================================================================================
SHARE                         ATTRIBUTE TYPE                VALUE
==================================================================================================
Office                       
                              SERVER_NAME                   NCGFILESERVER2._smb._tcp.local
                              USER_ID                       501
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_3.02
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                DISK
                              SIGNING_SUPPORTED             TRUE
                              EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE
                              UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE
                              OS_X_SERVER                   TRUE
                              DFS_SUPPORTED                 TRUE
                              FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED          TRUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XMF_Files                     
                              SERVER_NAME                   NCGFILESERVER2._smb._tcp.local
                              DFS_SUPPORTED                 TRUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Local Backup                 
                              SERVER_NAME                   imac2._smb._tcp.local
                              SIGNING_REQUIRED              TRUE
                              FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED            TRUE
                              DIR_LEASING_SUPPORTED         TRUE
                              SIGNING_ON                    TRUE

Aarons-iMac:~ ncg$

Are spoiler tags available?

I'll take a look at that link. Thanks Joe.