Working with Font Explorer

Started by jezza, September 09, 2007, 01:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Maybe some revenue from paid version may help. Suspect it's still in the Too Hard Basket at the moment, though.    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on February 23, 2009, 04:24:35 PMI wish linotype would get their stuff together and release the PC version. Does anyone out there still have a copy of the PC beta installer? how about a recommendation for a font manager for the PC? Im already using Adobe ATM deluxe, and it does the job. Im thinking there may be something better though.

Here is the last released version for the PC (I think). It seemed to work fine on XP but I had problems with it when trying it on Vista.

https://www.b4print.com/downloads/FontExplorerX-0.9.1.2250.exe
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Thanks Joe!

Looks like Lino pulled the beta last June, I was hoping they would release a final before their current offer is gone. That doesnt look like its going to happen.

Tracy

Im trying Font Explorer for PC today, looks different than the mac version. :smiley:

Tracy

It looks like a previewer only, can anyone give me the link to the pc version of fontexplorer?
oops just saw joes link

gnubler

Joe - THANK YOU! I had given up on FEX for Windows. I just installed it. We run an older version of Suitcase here, but I prefer FEX. You get beer!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

WOW! Beer for breakfast. What a treat. :laugh:

Be aware that was the last public beta released some time ago.

gnubler

I'll formally test it out today and let you know how it goes on XP.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

works great, you have to allow the programs to see it.
if you have any probs, post :smiley:

Captain_Type

I couldn't get Joe's link for the PC version to work (404 file not found), but here is an external link to it:

http://fex.linotype.com/download/pc/FontExplorerX-0.9.1.2250.exe

I have seen others comment on it unfavorably, i.e. "deletes fonts from original location when they are added."

Any comments on that, or does the .exe  contain a good read-me file that explains everything, including the shortcomings?
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Joe

Quote from: Captain_Type on April 22, 2009, 08:03:27 AMI couldn't get Joe's link for the PC version to work (404 file not found), but here is an external link to it:

http://fex.linotype.com/download/pc/FontExplorerX-0.9.1.2250.exe

I have seen others comment on it unfavorably, i.e. "deletes fonts from original location when they are added."

Any comments on that, or does the .exe  contain a good read-me file that explains everything, including the shortcomings?

You should have the option to either have it copy files (leave the originals) or move the files (delete the originals). I never had a problem with that when I tried it but like I said earlier I could not get it to work properly under Vista.

delooch

crap. finally get my hands on this and upon startup i get htis error:

Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 007FD8A3 in Modul 'FEX.exe'. Lesen von Adresse 00000000

way to go, linotype!

frailer

I think you mighta forgot to click on the "English" button.     :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

delooch

yeah, thats what it says on the english install!

checked a few forums, all the same. the only thing i found so far was on a linotype forum stating you need to change your windows username if it has special characters.  I cant do that because im on a managed workstation..

oh well, back to ATM..

gnubler

I installed it on XP and didn't see weirdness. I haven't loaded any fonts into it yet because I have tons of sets in Suitcase (for client jobs) and haven't had time. I'll diddle with it tomorrow.

Ok, off I go to make my 5,000th post.