ManRoland Rotoman Web Press

Started by Joe, April 30, 2020, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Anyone here running a press like this where you work? We are having a "new to us" one installed and they are about ready to fire it up and we need the files that are supposed to be added to to the plates for its registration system. All I know is it is small diamonds that have to be a certain size (unknown) and spaced a certain distance apart (unknown) and in a certain order (unknown). I kid you not that was the same info I was given so I guess my question is...is anyone running a ManRoland press with diamonds for the registration system?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

When I worked at Williamson, we had 2 Man Roland Rotoman presses. Both used the auto-registration.
I can't find an image of it, but it wasn't diamonds, they were polygons and rectangles that were in a row. Each polygon is mapped to each color on the press. The first one is black, then followed by c, m, y and then any spot colors, then the last one is black again. The "eye" on the press lines them up to each other at press speed.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find an image of it.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Have never worked with one, but many years ago I plated for a Harris web, and it required those diamonds. There is a default set in Preps that works.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

I can't remember the name of the system we used.

I would think that whatever system is on the press, the manufacturer would have the correct file for you to add to the sheet. Doesn't matter if it's diamonds or squares, it's whatever the photo eye and the software is setup to read.

Like I said, we used them, they worked great.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I have the ones for a Harris press. We have 3 of those presses. But the diamonds are bigger and in a different order and the spacing is different than the press sheet that we supposedly have from the ManRoland press. I mean I've heard we have that press sheet but I have not seen it yet.

David, did they look like the attached? That is the one running on our other Rotoman but the one they are installing now uses something with diamonds. It would help if I even knew the name of them.  :D

David

no.
Ours ran along the side of the sheet not at the tail or lead edge.
Looked kind like this screen cap as well as I can remember
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Thanks David. That isn't the one though. I've suggested they need to get it from ManRoland. But no time for that now. They've been assembling this thing since last November and just told us today they want to run a live job next week on it. We're just supposed to magically wave our prepress wand and make it happen.

:facepalm:

David

do you want to borrow my magic wand?
I just got it out of the shop, it kept changing all of the colors to something the custy didn't want.

it's all fixed, magically.

:lmao:
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

seriously, I would check to see if there was any documentation as to what software was used on the press previously. I'm not sure, but I don't think what we had came from ManRoland. It was like a 3rd party setup.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Documentation? What is that? :rotf:

I wouldn't be shocked if this was 3rd party too.

DigiCorn

Probably still better than the time my old shop got a press from Mexico and everything, including the command center and all the buttons, were in Spanish.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

zox

It is not just colorbar, what about presets?
You need to know is it Pecom, the system that is running.
Rotoman is awesome press, super fast, I worked with it until year or so ago when we sold our web division.
I will look to see if I have some old templates and colorbars.
By the way, diamonds are typically for Tobias system on Harris and it differs greatly from Pecom.

Joe

Yeah our other rotoman uses Pecom and uses the color bar I posted up above. Like I said they have been installing this press since last November and today it became an emergency. Agree about the rotoman press though. They are great. Much better than our Harris presses. I said earlier we had 3 of those but we actually have 4 heatset Harris presses.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 30, 2020, 01:59:35 PM
Probably still better than the time my old shop got a press from Mexico and everything, including the command center and all the buttons, were in Spanish.

We have some Mexican pressmen so it wouldn't be an issue here. :rotf:

zox

We did not have diamonds on Roto, only on Harris webs.
Our Roto was 4 units only (4 top and 4 bottom) so our colorbar was 4 colors and compensation box.
We also had to use compensation boxes separately, Rotoman was old and it had hard time picking the box out of colorbar.