News:

Main Menu

Trouble PDF

Started by Slappy, October 04, 2017, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Oof, what a bitch of a day. Finally go to Package 4 of the inside pages, 2 of them came out non-green and the other 2 are fine.

Have at it!!!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Ear

I see a lot of active spots in the Indy doc, Swatches. Some colors have CMYK description, some Lab. You have some .ai links, probably with RGB definitions.

You're best to start by converting the Indy Swatches to CMYK and process, prior to PDF export. If an Illy link does anything odd, open it and convert spots. Just gotta clean up those crazy swatches, mang.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Slappy

Quote from: Ear on October 05, 2017, 03:58:51 PMI see a lot of active spots in the Indy doc, Swatches. Some colors have CMYK description, some Lab. You have some .ai links, probably with RGB definitions.

You're best to start by converting the Indy Swatches to CMYK and process, prior to PDF export. If an Illy link does anything odd, open it and convert spots. Just gotta clean up those crazy swatches, mang.
That's what the other Operator did, I usually leave them and let Pitstop do the conversions personally. Unless it's an abhorrent mess. The root problem remains though: If those background boxes are ALL the same build (PMS/LAB/CMYK) then they should have all come out of the RIP as equals.

I'm definitely going to throw it at the XMF install when it's up & running in a few weeks. Thanks for taking a look all!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Using your Indy files I still cannot make them come out different at plate stage.

My one question is were all PDF's output using the same PDF settings? The PDF's you posted in your first post were PDF 1.6 and when I select the background with Pitstop it shows this:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

When I make a PDF out of InDesign I make the PDF as a 1.7 and when I select that background it looks like this

[attachimg=2 width=400]

I think they are basically saying the same thing but I'm not sure why it displays differently in your PDF as compared to the PDF I output.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Good question, I'll get a look at the other Op's settings when they're away. Any time in the past I've made suggestions on updating just about anything I get "Well, that's the way I was shown and we've ALWAYS done it!"

You know, because nothing in this biz changes, practically monthly!!  :hangme:

Ear

Pre PDF 1.7 also don't handle spots too well, or transparency, so make sure you set Compatibility to Acrobat 9.

And yeah, when I handle a native Indy Doc, I always go through the swatches pallet and clean it up to process. It is way more bullet proof than doing it in the PDF, especially when there are spots coming in from Illustrator. That said, since I've been insisting on PDF 1.7, I have no more problems with spot colors converting in the PDF.

pspdfppdfxhd

Man, the designer of this piece should go to the hall of fame! I mean look at that spot color gradient in the back. Brilliant!!

Ear

See, spot colors and NChannel gradient shading... PDF 1.7 to support all the fancy, yo.

pspdfppdfxhd

That designer must be on LSD or something.

Ear

... I went back and ran preflights on the original 2 PDFs and you do have them as PDF 1.6, which is close enough to PDF 1.7, in terms of Device N, etc...

Bubbs, that designer got paid in hash coins... low tolerance eh

Slappy

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on October 06, 2017, 10:14:57 AMMan, the designer of this piece should go to the hall of fame! I mean look at that spot color gradient in the back. Brilliant!!
Hmmmm, now I wonder if that element was only used on some pages, resulting in the weird color difference when RIP'd. I'll have to go back & look at the whole doc again.

Slappy

Minor follow-up, we've had XMF running for a few weeks now & I finally got time to shove the original client-based PDF through and shocker - the Epsons on the "bad" sig came out just fine. At least I can tell the Boss with some confidence that we have a resolution.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Ear on October 06, 2017, 10:32:29 AM... I went back and ran preflights on the original 2 PDFs and you do have them as PDF 1.6, which is close enough to PDF 1.7, in terms of Device N, etc...

Bubbs, that designer got paid in hash coins... low tolerance eh

Looks more like magic mushrooms to me.

Ear