Errant Object in Preview

Started by Slappy, September 08, 2023, 02:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Strange one, trying to Soft proof a PDF out and client is complaining of an "odd item" above a letter in the Proof. Can't see it in Acrobat but it definitely shows in Preview or Spacebar-Quicklook in the Finder OS. (I know, I know - neither one is the right way to check a PDF, but I can see what they mean at least. I assume they're viewing on mobile.)

Attaching the Preview & the wireframe from Pitstop to show there's NOTHING there. I ran an Epson to assure them it's not going to print, just not sure wtf it is in the first place! Leftover "ghost" object from Illustrator maybe?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

We get that type of issue when people view things with gmail preview or on their iPhone.
The answer is don't.
;D
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on September 08, 2023, 02:15:05 PMStrange one, trying to Soft proof a PDF out and client is complaining of an "odd item" above a letter in the Proof. Can't see it in Acrobat but it definitely shows in Preview or Spacebar-Quicklook in the Finder OS. (I know, I know - neither one is the right way to check a PDF, but I can see what they mean at least. I assume they're viewing on mobile.)

Attaching the Preview & the wireframe from Pitstop to show there's NOTHING there. I ran an Epson to assure them it's not going to print, just not sure wtf it is in the first place! Leftover "ghost" object from Illustrator maybe?
Yeah what born said. It is probably something the designer left in there and made it transparent instead of deleting it. Preview or quicklook does not do transparency viewing correctly.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Right, I told them the same thing - just curious why it didn't show up in wireframe even. It's a brand new (larger) client so trying to set 'em on the right path from the get go - we'll see how that goes.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on September 09, 2023, 12:37:05 PMRight, I told them the same thing - just curious why it didn't show up in wireframe even. It's a brand new (larger) client so trying to set 'em on the right path from the get go - we'll see how that goes.
Good question. You would think it should show up there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Interesting, can you share the file?
would like to dig into this

Slappy

Will do, I'll PM a link tomorrow. Thanks Andrew!

Skryber

I have this problem in Illustrator when I outline fonts and then divide them out of shapes. I have to find a work around just to show the proof. Can you open in Illy and try switching the viewing between CPU and GPU to see if it changes? I'm interested too if you want to send me the file.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Slappy

Huh, I resaved the original out of Illustrator (since it was an Illy PDF to start with) and the weird object disappeared with OS Quicklook. It kinda doesn't show up in Preview, except for certain magnification levels. I did notice a "cover-up" box they added below that area, but whether I delete it or not - doesn't matter.

Tracy

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

Quote from: Skryber on September 11, 2023, 08:14:54 AMI have this problem in Illustrator when I outline fonts and then divide them out of shapes. I have to find a work around just to show the proof. Can you open in Illy and try switching the viewing between CPU and GPU to see if it changes? I'm interested too if you want to send me the file.
Nah, CPU vs. GPU made no difference. I'll PM ya the file link though.

scottrsimons

It could be a RGB vs CMYK thing too.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Skryber

Looks like a stroke overlapping issue. Its an outlined font with a centered stroke. And then the white type on top of it. It being centered is the problem because its so thick the inside overlaps the outside. See the video link. When you outline the stroke the white thing appears.

https://vimeo.com/863397375?share=copy#t=0

You can fix it a few ways. But I changed it to an outside stroke and divided the stroke weight in half. (11 to 5.5) That was all really. You can also outline the stroke, unite in pathfinder, delete the white thing and set behind the white type but that's more steps and you lose the stroke.

Slappy, I sent you a file.

DCS would say to bring it in to the almighty Freehand.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Tracy