News:

Main Menu

Acrobat 9 is out

Started by almaink, June 25, 2008, 08:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on June 25, 2008, 12:41:27 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 25, 2008, 12:22:30 PMpssssht..  windows only?  no thanks.  :laugh:   When is the Mac version slated for release?

I just downloaded the Mac version from the Adobe Partner downloads.

Cheater.  :tongue:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: Zimmy3 on June 25, 2008, 12:22:03 PM
Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on June 25, 2008, 11:32:28 AMI cannot do my job without it.

Im not be a smartass here but can you explain why you need it ?
I don't use it. I Preflight and prep  files all day.
We do have a Pitstop server but I have no training on it.(yet)
The guy who set it up and used it most recently quit....so I don't know what were doin with it.
Am I doing stuff the hard way?
Okay maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I just like the tools available to me to quickly solve issues with a file that will hold up production.  Most of the work we do is large page count (500+pgs) so I find that a lot of the supplied PDFs that come in are from print brokers who don't know the first thing about web press printing.  And being from Michigan, we do a lot of work for the automotive industry and automotive suppliers.  These kind of catalogs almost always need to have a 5-Hole Auto drill applied to spine edge of the book (think of a 3 ring binder but with 1/2" holes) Nothing can print in that drill margin, but time and time again I find that designers haven't considered this and we get the privilage of fixing it, or more to the point "make it work."  I do it with my handy tool Pitstop.  It is just my preference and I in no way think that everyone should think the same way I do.  I mean there would be no point(y) to that. :wink:
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Zimmy3

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on June 25, 2008, 01:03:26 PMOkay maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I just like the tools available to me to quickly solve issues with a file that will hold up production.  Most of the work we do is large page count (500+pgs) so I find that a lot of the supplied PDFs that come in are from print brokers who don't know the first thing about web press printing.  And being from Michigan, we do a lot of work for the automotive industry and automotive suppliers.  These kind of catalogs almost always need to have a 5-Hole Auto drill applied to spine edge of the book (think of a 3 ring binder but with 1/2" holes) Nothing can print in that drill margin, but time and time again I find that designers haven't considered this and we get the privilage of fixing it, or more to the point "make it work."  I do it with my handy tool Pitstop.  It is just my preference and I in no way think that everyone should think the same way I do.  I mean there would be no point(y) to that. :wink:
Gotcha.....We do mostly packaging....1 pg Illy files......I forgot about books totally because we don't do em.
I sure as hell wouldn't want to open 500 documents/pages and fix stuff :laugh:
Thanx.
Because it feels good !

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: Zimmy3 on June 25, 2008, 01:12:57 PMI sure as hell wouldn't want to open 500 documents/pages and fix stuff :laugh

Yep, most days I don't either, but it keeps me in a job.  Someone has to wave the magic wand. :wiz2drag:
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

jimking

Zimmy, if you have pitstop give it ago and you'll end up saying "well, I'll be damn".. :cheesy:

Zimmy3

Quote from: jimking on June 25, 2008, 01:33:16 PMZimmy, if you have pitstop give it ago and you'll end up saying "well, I'll be damn".. :cheesy:

What might I use it for on a package or a label ?
Because it feels good !

jimking

Image issues-RGB, color problems, text issues, font problems, moving elements, layers etc.

Joe

Quote from: almaink on June 25, 2008, 09:53:25 AMI mean it can now do a return at the end of a sentence line. No idea about Pit Stop as I'm still using PS version 6.5.3
in both Acrobat 6 and 7. From what I'm seeing in Acro 9 we not even need Pit Stop anymore.

Okay, downloaded and did all of my Wednesday night jobs in Acrobat 9. For starters, no...Pitstop 7.5 or 8.0 will NOT work with Acrobat 9. The Pitstop installer does not give you the option to install it into Acrobat 9 though I would suppose they'll have an update shortly for it. My guess is you'll have to upgrade to Pitstop 8 to use it with Acrobat 9. The upgrade price is $199.

Now, about that "not even need Pitstop anymore" statement. I was very skeptical of that so I attempted to do all of my jobs tonight with Acrobat 9 and no Pitstop.

The jobs:

#1 - A 20 page Broadsheet newspaper done in InDesign CS2. I get PDF's and they are not great PDF's. This is a job I've discussed before loaded with grayscale images that ID converts to NChannel and then I can't open them in Photoshop unless I convert them to grayscale with Pitstop. And Pitstop takes it's sweet time converting them. These files are also loaded with transparency. RGB files 4 color B&W CMYK images. Text colored RGB, 4 color, blah blah blah....

#2 - A 40 page 17.5" tab, full color. I get PDF's from InDesign CS3. Pretty good PDF's. Has transparency and some RGB and some 4 color blacks but not bad overall.

#3 - A 24 page 17.5" tab, full color. I get PDF's from InDesign CS3. Pretty good PDF's. Has transparency and some RGB and some 4 color blacks but not bad overall.

#4 - A 16 page 13.75" tab, full color. I get PDF's from COREL DRAW. Pretty good PDF's. No transparency but some RGB and some 4 color blacks but not bad overall.

#5 - A 12 Broadsheet newspaper that are PDF's from InDesign CS2 that comes straight from HELL. Forked up transparency all over the place, RGB, 4 color blacks, low res images yada yada yada...

Guess what? I did it! And I'm a very heavy duty Pitstop user!

Let me just say that the "New & Improved" Convert Color kicks some major booty. You can select it to change the object type or the color type so you can perform some very selective color changes. See attachments #1 & #2 for an example.

During my testing I found if I select an object with the Object Touch Up tool and then right click, instead of selecting "Edit Image", you can select "Properties", then click the color tab and from there you can change the color via profiles. Saves you from having to go into Photoshop if you just want to convert something that you might not be able to do via "Convert Color". I've since learned that feature was also in Acrobat 8 but I just found it tonight. See attachment 3. And it appears using "Convert Color" no longer trashes transparent objects. I had no problems with transparency using it. Also the color conversions were very fast. The NChannel conversions to grayscale took about 3 seconds compared to several minutes using Pitstop for a 2 pages document.

All in all. Alma is correct. You can get by without Pitstop. Would I want to? No, not really. There were some things I missed from Pitstop, like selecting a piece of text and changing the color of it via global change. I was able to convert everything I needed to though with just Acrobat. I just had to do some creative thinking for some of it.

I still hate the interface though. You still have to click things once to give it the focus and then click it again to use it, like the separation preview box. I also still hate that every PDF you open has its own toolbar instead of just having a common toolbar that all open documents share. It's a waste of computer resources and really slows things down if you have more than just a couple of documents open. I did find it faster than Acrobat 8 but I would like to see if it's still faster than Acrobat 8 once I can install Pitstop. I believe part of the Acrobat 8 performance problem is Pitstop.

On a scale of 10 I give it an 8 (I'd give Acrobat 8 a 4 :evil: ). Still room for improvment Adobe. :cool:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

It sounds like I am going to be asking my boss to upgrade to 9. I was going to see if he would get us PitStop but that would have involved upgrading Acrobat anyway, so this is great. The problems I come up against in customer supplied PDFs are mainly, RGB elements (including RGB type), and fonts that are not embedded, if those types of things can be fixed using only Acrobat 9, I am definitely asking for the upgrade.

-Rat

ninjaPB_43

Looks like we may upgrade as well.  Thanks for the thorough examination and review Joe. :cool:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

almaink

One thing to try with that device n bullshit Joe. Change the image editor to Preview. Then re-save from there. Then change image editor back to Photoshop and edit the sucker. PITA I know but I've had some success doing it.
I'll stick with Pit stop here as well, but it's nice to finally have a version of Acrobat that has tools we can use.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: almaink on June 26, 2008, 07:50:42 AMOne thing to try with that device n bullshit Joe. Change the image editor to Preview. Then re-save from there. Then change image editor back to Photoshop and edit the sucker. PITA I know but I've had some success doing it.
I'll stick with Pit stop here as well, but it's nice to finally have a version of Acrobat that has tools we can use.

I'll give that a try and see what happens. I'm still baffled as to why the gray scale images are converted to NChannel during export from ID, a format that Adobe's own image editor cannot open. Weird...I'm guessing it has something to do with transparency.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

I see it in Quack PDF's as well. It's a PDF thing I'm sure.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Tracy

wow joe, i admire how you dove in and checked that out like that.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on June 25, 2008, 12:41:27 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 25, 2008, 12:22:30 PMpssssht..  windows only?  no thanks.  :laugh:   When is the Mac version slated for release?

I just downloaded the Mac version from the Adobe Partner downloads.

I've got to be missing something.  I went looking again through the partners downloads site and I'm still only finding Windows version. Were you pulling my chain Joe?

Edit: under system requirements it does list a Mac version, but all I have in the drop down is this..  see attachment.

Scratch that, I found it.  Geez, Adobe.  You can't find it from the dummies y'know.  :rolleyes: