**RANT** Really not impressed with Kodak right now

Started by JCPenfold, January 07, 2013, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: JCPenfold on January 07, 2013, 02:44:46 PMI've basically gotten used to Prinergy, it's not too bad, but Preps 5 feels like working in PageMaker, weird example but that's what it reminds me of. And then I went on forums like PrintPlanet and people were complaining that Preps 6 is completely different, and in a bad way. So I started evaluating other options. I checked out Metrix's site, which directed me to their "preferred partners" and I ended up talking to a guy at Fuji, but they told me I wouldn't be able to import all the Preps templates which is a dealbreaker.

Preps 6 is different but you will get used to it. And better in the long run once you do get used to it. The training will help.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

JCPenfold

Our current server is a Dell 2900 but it's running Windows Server 2003 so it hit the 10 yr mark where Kodak won't service it. My iMac can't send files to the workflow so for most jobs I work off the old Power Mac to avoid having to switch back and forth when I need to send a job over, that's part of what the upgrade is supposed to accomplish is being able to send files directly from the iMac. Unfortunately I'm not very well versed on the technical aspects of the equipment, basically I know how to use them and that's it (I know I know, I'm trying to learn...) :-/

gnubler

Quote from: JCPenfold on January 07, 2013, 02:52:33 PMI'm trying to learn...

A concept which most of our customers don't have & don't even care about.  :kona:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: JCPenfold on January 07, 2013, 02:52:33 PMOur current server is a Dell 2900 but it's running Windows Server 2003 so it hit the 10 yr mark where Kodak won't service it. My iMac can't send files to the workflow so for most jobs I work off the old Power Mac to avoid having to switch back and forth when I need to send a job over, that's part of what the upgrade is supposed to accomplish is being able to send files directly from the iMac. Unfortunately I'm not very well versed on the technical aspects of the equipment, basically I know how to use them and that's it (I know I know, I'm trying to learn...) :-/

Is the hardware in the 2900 10 years old? Kodak upgraded our 2900 to Windows 2008 server. Our server was 3 years old at the time. Does Dell just keep using the server number 2900 when new hardware is used in them?

t-pat

Quote from: JCPenfold on January 07, 2013, 02:52:33 PMOur current server is a Dell 2900 but it's running Windows Server 2003 so it hit the 10 yr mark where Kodak won't service it. My iMac can't send files to the workflow so for most jobs I work off the old Power Mac to avoid having to switch back and forth when I need to send a job over, that's part of what the upgrade is supposed to accomplish is being able to send files directly from the iMac. Unfortunately I'm not very well versed on the technical aspects of the equipment, basically I know how to use them and that's it (I know I know, I'm trying to learn...) :-/

Prinergy doesn't much care what you're running really, as long as the prinergy client will run. Are you getting Evo or Connect?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

And what version of Prinergy are you currently running?

Mikie

So just to jump on the Kodak hate wagon...

Got a call from one of the owners of the shop my dad worked at for 30 years, freaking out because his plate setter was down for an unknown amount of time, and I quote, "Those GD broke ass mother fuckers cant even afford to keep power supplies on the shelf....not a FUCKING ONE!"

He was down for three days. Luckily for him both our places use prinergy, same basic platesetter, and he needed plates for a cd102, which we have also. Dude exported his jobs, i imported them, we made a quick layback check and 90 plates later he's good. He brought his own plates even  :drunk3:

We are working out how we charge Kodak...oh yeah, they're broke.

t-pat

they're not in any way broke, I just got a letter from them saying how they have millions in cash and more financing secured.

Not sure why you guys have so many issues... we need a part it's here the next day.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

frailer

Quote from: t-pat on January 07, 2013, 05:22:24 PMthey're not in any way broke, I just got a letter from them saying how they have millions in cash and more financing secured.

Not sure why you guys have so many issues... we need a part it's here the next day.

Didn't they dodge/forfeit millions in debt? My head spins when I try and make sense of big-corporate bail-out/dodge/run/hide shenanigans. Who owed what, to whom? Who didn't pay? How much did they end up settling for (cents-in-the-dollar)? And so it goes.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 07, 2013, 06:03:09 PM
Quote from: t-pat on January 07, 2013, 05:22:24 PMthey're not in any way broke, I just got a letter from them saying how they have millions in cash and more financing secured.

Didn't they dodge/forfeit millions in debt? My head spins when I try and make sense of big-corporate bail-out/dodge/run/hide shenanigans. Who owed what, to whom? Who didn't pay? How much did they end up settling for (cents-in-the-dollar)? And so it goes.

They've emerged from bankruptcy with money to burn.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on January 07, 2013, 06:45:24 PM
Quote from: frailer on January 07, 2013, 06:03:09 PM

They've emerged from bankruptcy with money to burn.

A plot worthy of Joseph Heller, no doubt.   :rolleyes:  I wonder if there's a rhyme to (chapter)11 being half of (catch)22? But then bankruptcy's a step on from Ch 11 there, right?   :undecided:
"And so it goes" I owe to Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

I have no idea. I have no experience with bankruptcy. I pay my bills, don't spend more than I have and am generally fiscally responsible. The exact opposite of big companies and governments. :angry:

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

JCPenfold

Quote from: Joe on January 07, 2013, 03:01:46 PM

Is the hardware in the 2900 10 years old? Kodak upgraded our 2900 to Windows 2008 server. Our server was 3 years old at the time. Does Dell just keep using the server number 2900 when new hardware is used in them?

Quote from: t-pat on January 07, 2013, 03:02:48 PM

Prinergy doesn't much care what you're running really, as long as the prinergy client will run. Are you getting Evo or Connect?

I've only been here a couple months, I assumed the server was from 2008 when the Trendsetter was installed, but obviously not or it would be running windows 2008 server? The quote on file is for Prinergy Connect. We are currently using Prinergy version 4.1.2.6.78