Signa Station....any thoughts?

Started by RMPrepress, September 30, 2014, 08:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMPrepress

Getting pricing and weighing all options on imposition software.  Just had a demo on Signa and was impressed but of course a demo and use in everyday prepress is something else.  Any advice?

We currently have Preps 5.3 running on 3 Mac Pro's but the time has come to move on to Preps 7 or look at something else like Signa or Metrix.

We run Heidelberg Prinect Pressroom Manager as well.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 9.5 and Kodak Proofing System 10.0
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Slappy

Oh boy, let me gather some thoughts. This is the first shop I've been at that uses it, came from a Preps background although I was only vaguely familiar with that, I'll try to throw some of the positives & negatives. We're running the latest version too, updated everything from prepress back to the Pressroom Manager also.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

RMPrepress

Great ....I will be looking forward to your next post!

WharfRat

In your "latest version" (13?) are you running the complete "Business Manager"
with the MIS for estimating and ticket writing interacting with Cockpit and SignsStation and Data Terminals?
I wouldn't mind getting in a chat about that complete workflow.
We are having major problems with SignaStation interacting and translating information coming from Business Manager.
Maybe it is just us - maybe not.
It would be great to hear of some other experiences with the full suite

MSD

DigiCorn

Joe, I will remain mum on this subject. My silence speaks volumes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: WharfRat on October 01, 2014, 05:05:24 AMIn your "latest version" (13?) are you running the complete "Business Manager"
with the MIS for estimating and ticket writing interacting with Cockpit and SignsStation and Data Terminals?
That's a negative, Ghost Rider. Management didn't want to pony up for it, which is understandable given the what, 6 figure price tag?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

RMPrepress

We would most likely just be purchasing Signa Station as a standalone. Although we do use Pressroom Manager now.

The possible problem for us is that we have an Esko Nexus Rip and use a JDF workflow, writing JDF out of Preps and dropping on Nexus manager workflows.
Not sure yet if a JDF from Signa will go through Nexus.

Slappy

Haven't forgotten you, we are just absolutely shit-hammered with political jobs and will be for the next few weeks. I'll try to jot some notes down while I'm slaving away and throw it up here this week though!  :embarrassed:

I did see your concern about running Signa JDFs through Nexus, if I can generate some, do you want to give 'em a push and see what happens?

haushold

We use Heidelberg Prinect as our primary workflow, previously everything was sent through our Nexus rip. The cip data goes directly from Prinect to our Heidelberg - If we send plates for the KBA - the cip3 data gets generated by Prinect - and dropped into a Nexus hot folder for the KBA. If I recall we had to purchase a special license for this feature.
Artificial intellegence is no match for natural stupidity.