Beach Balls for Days

Started by AaronH, December 02, 2019, 06:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on December 05, 2019, 04:03:30 PM
You really find that this is a good alternative to using a dedicated font management utility?

It works rather well actually. I haven't gotten as crafty as it as Joe has, but if I'm having problems getting indesign to recognize the fonts that came packaged with it, I'll drop them into my user fonts folder and then it will usually recognize they're there. It doesn't happen that often though.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

There is a known Apple issue between processors where the font name is recognized differently. You could have 2 Mac Pros, almost identical in every way, running the same OS, but the processor is different and it will see the font on one and not on the other. For example on one Mac Pro it might look like: Helvetica Bold and on the other: Helvetica Bold (OTF)
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

I run into something like this all the time with my customer's fonts. They'll supply packaged files with TTF fonts, and InDesign will ask me to find TTF fonts. I usually have to remap them to the ones that are listed in the font list. Makes no sense. They're still TTF fonts.

Joe

Just to repeat....

FONTS ARE EVIL!!!!!

TOOLS OF THE DEVIL!

:dev2:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: AaronH on December 06, 2019, 12:11:59 PM
I run into something like this all the time with my customer's fonts. They'll supply packaged files with TTF fonts, and InDesign will ask me to find TTF fonts. I usually have to remap them to the ones that are listed in the font list. Makes no sense. They're still TTF fonts.
yeah

like that

:banghead:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on December 06, 2019, 12:18:00 PM
Just to repeat....

FONTS ARE EVIL!!!!!

TOOLS OF THE DEVIL!

It's been about 10-12 years ago, but I had the biggest problem with Quark. I don't know how I figured it out, but there was a corrupt font on my system (not 100% but I think it was a system font) that kept Quark from launching. Deleted it, and all was well again. Peace and Harmony.

I haven't touched a Quark file in 3-4 years.

Fuck Quark. Fuck fonts.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2019, 12:25:36 PM
Just to repeat....

FONTS ARE EVIL!!!!!

TOOLS OF THE DEVIL!

It's been about 10-12 years ago, but I had the biggest problem with Quark. I don't know how I figured it out, but there was a corrupt font on my system (not 100% but I think it was a system font) that kept Quark from launching. Deleted it, and all was well again. Peace and Harmony.

Fuck Quark. Fuck fonts.

Agreed.

An older prepress guy I used to work with used to say that when he was going to take over the world (of printing/design), he would make it so computers came packaged with the same fonts, regardless of OS, and that there would be a finite number of them and all font websites and all font design software would cease to exist.

No doubt this would still have hiccups and issues.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2019, 12:25:36 PM
Just to repeat....

FONTS ARE EVIL!!!!!

TOOLS OF THE DEVIL!

Fuck Quark. Fuck fonts.

I have a co-worker that Quark 8 crashes at launch. I am suspecting a font. But there are like 78 bazillion fonts loaded on that machine. So no more Quark on that machine. THE END!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 06, 2019, 11:49:29 AM
There is a known Apple issue between processors where the font name is recognized differently. You could have 2 Mac Pros, almost identical in every way, running the same OS, but the processor is different and it will see the font on one and not on the other. For example on one Mac Pro it might look like: Helvetica Bold and on the other: Helvetica Bold (OTF)
Is that why the fuck that happens?? I had one just the other day, various iterations of Robot used throughout, InDesign claimed they weren't loaded even though they were right there in the Document Fonts Folder so I meticulously remapped all those bastards.

Revised (Packaged) file came in today - no issue whatsoever even though I used the entire new Packaged Folder supplied.

:facepalm:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

scottrsimons

Fonts, are how you really know a seasoned Prepress operator. Ask them about fonts, and sit back and listen. If they don't stand on a soap box  :cane: for at least 5-10 minutes, they haven't been in the "oven" long enough. Time to throw'em back in for a while. :gom:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Just_A_Mac_Guy

Quote from: scottrsimons on December 10, 2019, 08:44:02 AM
Fonts, are how you really know a seasoned Prepress operator. Ask them about fonts, and sit back and listen. If they don't stand on a soap box  :cane: for at least 5-10 minutes, they haven't been in the "oven" long enough. Time to throw'em back in for a while. :gom:

Hell, I can do 25 minutes on Apple's System Helveticas alone... Don't get me started.... :gom: :gom: :gom:

AaronH

My favorites now are Lato and pretty much anything else that is an Adobe Typekit font.
:sarcasm:

75% of the time if not more, it'll recognize you need it, download it from the site, then it says its a different format. Usually OTF.
:facepalm:

AaronH

Alright, its been a month since I changed to a new Admin user on the Mac. I am running minimal apps (Adobe stuff, Pitstop 2020, Microsoft office, XMF and amazon music), regularly run without fonts in the user font folder and am still having issues.

I can't save files, open files, change what app is in focus, sometimes even typing without getting a beachball that lasts anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute or sometimes longer. I'm at a loss for what to do.

The new profile worked great for a short while but it has progressively gotten worse overtime.

David

went back and reread this...
what mac are you using?
Laptop or iMac?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca