linux recommendations??

Started by delooch, April 21, 2008, 11:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

Ok, since i dont use my laptop much anymore except to weigh down my backpack, ive decided to familiarize myself with linux again..

i know some of you out there dabble in it, any good installs/distributions that you recommend??  Probably wont be doing much with it except learning the ins and outs and getting familiar..

Joe

Ubuntu is my favorite and probably the easiest to learn.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Out of curiousity, how many versions of Linux are there and what are they for? I've only ever used Ubuntu - is that more for the home consumer?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Too many to count.

Ubuntu is the easiest of all of them and the closest thing they have to a "Home" version but most people I tell to forget it. They can't even use a PC or a Mac so they are a lost cause to begin with.

hansonian

X's 2 on Ubuntu. if you're looking for something to get your feet wet with, Ubuntu is the way to go. my brother is a linux guru and when i was looking for a alternative to windozes at home he recommended it to me. couldn't be happier with it and they have a good community of people over on there forum if you have any questions.

jezza

one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Am cogitating on this route as well, but not urgently. After talking to my new-found PC tech, who has got the old home PC back on track for another year, maybe, there seem to be a few more reservations on using Linux than I thought.

His spin:
-Most, or all, "flavours" are quite hardware-fussy. You need to research what the version you want to run is gonna be happy running on.
-very limited in driver compatibility range.
-limited apps available [obviously].

However...I asked him what pressure there will be for existing home XP users to go to Vista. His comment; "It's starting already"
Also, he states there is no "upgrade" path, as such. You're just forking out for Vista; about $350 here, [Aust.]. Ouch. Apple look like good guys on this subject.
Also, is it structly true in the MS EULA, that the Op system is licenced to a person, not the machine/box? In theory if you sell your PC, or pass it on, you're strictly obliged to uninstall everything that's relevant, including the Op Sys. Yeah, I know, peels of laughter; but I'm talking legalities here.

It's easy to hate MS, but I do resent the big Brother attitude they have. i'm considering going Mac at home also, of course, but that's another discussion. But, because of their size/long history they have a lotta stuff that's good in the way of apps that trails along with them...

It's a grab-bag of notions, but would appreciate experiences, knowledge...of anyone who is heading in this direction. Pretty sure I've got the latest Ubuntu disk...so ready to give it a go if disaster strikes early.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 13, 2008, 12:52:49 AMAm cogitating on this route as well, but not urgently. After talking to my new-found PC tech, who has got the old home PC back on track for another year, maybe, there seem to be a few more reservations on using Linux than I thought.

His spin:
-Most, or all, "flavours" are quite hardware-fussy. You need to research what the version you want to run is gonna be happy running on.
-very limited in driver compatibility range.
-limited apps available [obviously].

However...I asked him what pressure there will be for existing home XP users to go to Vista. His comment; "It's starting already"
Also, he states there is no "upgrade" path, as such. You're just forking out for Vista; about $350 here, [Aust.]. Ouch. Apple look like good guys on this subject.
Also, is it structly true in the MS EULA, that the Op system is licenced to a person, not the machine/box? In theory if you sell your PC, or pass it on, you're strictly obliged to uninstall everything that's relevant, including the Op Sys. Yeah, I know, peels of laughter; but I'm talking legalities here.

It's easy to hate MS, but I do resent the big Brother attitude they have. i'm considering going Mac at home also, of course, but that's another discussion. But, because of their size/long history they have a lotta stuff that's good in the way of apps that trails along with them...

It's a grab-bag of notions, but would appreciate experiences, knowledge...of anyone who is heading in this direction. Pretty sure I've got the latest Ubuntu disk...so ready to give it a go if disaster strikes early.

If you want to test out Ubuntu, which is the most hardware friendly of all the different Linux builds out there, burn yourself the Live CD. You can boot off of it and run Linux from it without actually having to install it on your hard disk. It's great for testing without wiping out your hard drive.

XP end of life is June 30th 2008 I believe unless Microsoft has given it a reprieve. What does that mean? It will still run but Microsoft won't support it and they won't keep updating it with security or performance updates. I know people that are still running WIN 98 2E and it still runs but it's a security risk to be sure.

Vista, while it might run on older hardware, needs new hardware to make it runs acceptably. I'm not sure on the EULA. I know the activation is tied to the machine so I'm thinking if you sell the machine you could send the OS along with it as long as you give them the disk with the product key and you don't try to use it on another machine. I'll tell you, I've been a Windows user since around 1988 and I will probably always keep a PC around but I can't see myself ever buying Vista. I'll run XP until it won't run anymore and any new PC hardware I might invest in will probably be running Linux (Ubuntu unless something better comes along).

frailer

You have to wonder whether there will be some sort of "civil disobedience" campaign with this June 30 deadline. Are the pundits predicting a reaction against MS? Must admit I haven't heard anything; but then don't follow the IT press much. Maybe I'll look more closely at Pegoraro et al; seeing as I get the Washington Post IT emails. Been flicking them lately cos of other commitments. They [MS] must be banking a lot on users following the Pied Piper all the way.   :huh:    :undecided:

Apple's looking more appealing...use it at work...and TBH the cost of buying OSX isn't that bad, up against Vista.

in no hurry...at least for now...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

The more tidbits I hear about Microsoft, the more I'd rather pour Tabasco sauce on my eyes. What dicks. Have never given a penny to MS, never will. Thank goodness for open source.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Strictly, this belongs under Windows; but follows the general discussion. What's scary is that this guy actually knows what he's doing, presumably. What hope for the rest?
Looks like the last hurrah for XP, though.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2008/05/windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

Ubuntu's starting to look better by the month.    :shocked:

Thought I'd add this in, for anyone interested.   http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/07/ubuntu-must-pla.html#previouspost

frailer

Just ordered my Ubuntu 8.04 disk. Free, of course. Pre-ignite rockets are burning.... :grin:

Now I better get that basic Ubuntu command line book, and at least know some basics.    :undecided:

All I gotta do now is wait for computer tech to get in a newish/discard HDD from an upgrade, for $10; and it's launch time at Canaveral!    :woot:

See, it's still possible to get excited in one's advancing years... :laugh:

Joe

You really shouldn't need the command line stuff unless you are planning on installing Ubuntu Server. I wouldn't do that unless you are real adventuresome. For just starting out I'd go with the GUI.

frailer

Quote from: Joe  on May 15, 2008, 01:17:55 AMYou really shouldn't need the command line stuff unless you are planning on installing Ubuntu Server. I wouldn't do that unless you are real adventuresome. For just starting out I'd go with the GUI.

Yeah, I know, but I'm prone to get ideas beyond my station. It happened to us colonials when we got transported out here for reasons of poverty or petty crime.    :laugh:

frailer

With a bit of judicious advice from Joe, and the odd tip from Linux Forums, now have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on a 2nd drive, [80Gb/$40]. Not fully tested but looks like will be able to just choose from a list at start-up, whether to boot into XP or Ubuntu.
It's only the start of the journey, [printer drivers and all that guff to deal with yet], but have Firefox and Evolution [email client], hooked up. Both are on the FREE install disk.
One small step back from Messrs. Gates and Ballmer.
Encourage anyone PO'd with MS to try the same. Everything working smoothly so far, albeit just surfin' and email so far.

Wu-Hu!   Ubuntu!     :woohoo:

Asked another guy at work here, who's been PC savvy from the early days. I asked: "Gone to Vista yet?". Snarl, growl...yes! Really not happy...
As he said; what happens to people who DON'T have any real troubleshooting skills? It' going to be interesting to see how this XP/Vista thing pans out over the next 6 months.

My wife's boss...serial "job lot" purchaser of PCs and other stuff for the business; verging on addiction, I reckon. Says to her while they were doing a re-plan of some rooms: "Do you want that PC?". new Compaq/AMD Athlon. No monitor, but...it was free... :cheesy:   So good to be able to load an operating system without Bill'n'Ballmer looking over the shoulder with their hands out... :laugh: