EVO, Dielines and trapping

Started by Farabomb, January 03, 2011, 09:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

I usually HAVE to change the density of the color as well. I set it to max, that way whatever app it travels through, it retains maximum ink density. Nothing will trap to it. It's rare, but it does happen.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 03, 2011, 11:32:00 AMJust setting it to Overprint isn't enough - you have to tell Prinergy that it is a Transparent ink. Prinergy may use a different terminology. I do remember when setting up Prinergy in the old shop, I added colors to the Prinergy library with every variation of the word "die" (like DIE, Die, dieline, DIELINE, etc) and setting the ink parameters so that as long as I named the color properly in the native app, Prinergy would apply these parameters when refining. It worked like a charm and required no extra intervention on my part. I don't even think I needed to set the overprint in the file - Prinergy handled it based on the settings I made.

Good point. We always just convert it to a standard Pantone name so the name is always in our library.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Here is a screen shot of the refined file using Prinergy. I did have to add the "Die" color to the color library. Use a standard spot name and you won't have to do that but as Dan mentioned, if you create the color and add it to the Prinergy library and set it as transparent in the library you won't have to set it to overprint with Pitstop.

Farabomb

Yup, After I added it to the color library it worked fine. I never used the library, nor was trained on it. Don't think I was trained on EVO at all come to think of it. The install guys ran me through it but I think they were more digital based becasue of the blank stares at a lot of my questions.

I did run a test on this job to see if the color changed if I converted using the library instead of from the document. I left the factory at none and the user at the one I made and it seemed to pull the recipe from the file. There has been talk about certain colors shifting form the proof to the press sheet. I wonder if I use the factory libraries if the proof will get closer to the printed sheet. Doesn't make much sense seeing as it should use the same breakdown but maybe the proofer can't handle some color breakdowns and throws the color off.  :huh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

or you can set it to "Dieline" - it's a setting.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: tpatterson on January 03, 2011, 05:08:39 PMor you can set it to "Dieline" - it's a setting.

Cool. I didn't realize that was in there. From the Prinergy help:

QuoteOpacity

Select one of the following opacity options:

Not Specified: Opacity is not specified.

Normal: The color is treated as translucent. Normal colors, or objects covered by or placed on top of Normal colors, may be trapped.

Transparent: Transparent colors are not trapped.

Opaque: Opaque colors, or objects covered by Opaque colors, are not spread. Other colors may trap to Opaque colors, and objects covered by Opaque colors may be choked back.

Opaque Ignored: Opaque Ignored colors are not spread. Other colors do not trap to Opaque Ignored colors.

Die line: The color is not trapped. For composite proofs, the color knocks out. When outputting separations, the system treats the color as an overprint ink.

DCurry

Quote from: tpatterson on January 03, 2011, 05:08:39 PMor you can set it to "Dieline" - it's a setting.

Yes, I believe that's what I did. It's just been a while.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

Now that's handy. Thanks for the info.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

cwoehnker

In Prinergy just add the spot color "Dieline" to your Users Library in Color Editor (under Tools). If you don't have one create one. Select the User Library you want to add it to and select Add. Name your color and give it a CMYK value. The important part is to set the Trapping Opacity information to "Dieline". Hit apply. You should now be able to process the file using a spot refine process template and the spot color "Dieline" will always overprint. No need to set to overprint in Illy or Pitstop. You might want to add several variations of this to catch all instances. These color names are case sensitive. Hope this helps.

charlie

Farabomb

Not sure the names are case sensitive. I tried to enter Die and die and it said it was already there. Adding this works great I just wish Kodak told me during the install.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job