Purchasing InSite/ Prinergy. Advice much appreciated

Started by dgust, September 28, 2010, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 03, 2011, 10:51:11 AMWe are looking into prinergy evo again.
boss got them to strip out some things to bring the price down.

They are offering Preps 6 in the package, Have there been problems with
Preps 6 and should I get Preps 5 instead?

and any preference on a new mac and pc?

What kind of a server? I don't think we are going to get the one from kodak.

I don't think Kodak will sell you their workflow without using their approved Dell server. Your boss needs to clarify that but unless Kodak has changed their mind in the last year you have to get the workflow and Insite server from them. (And they were around $18,000 for two of them a little over a year ago...I think)

For Mac we use all iMacs. We have the 20" aluminum iMacs but go for a 27" if you can.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Joe

I have both but we only use 5.3.x (whatever the latest version of Preps 5 is). In Prinergy we don't actually impose with Preps. We only use Preps to create/modify templates and then we select those templates from within Prinergy. Not sure if Evo has the same thing. If you go with 6 you really need to get some Preps 6 specific training because it's a complete different animal than Preps 5. As others have said here, Preps 6 has some nifty new features but you really need some good training on it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I agree with Joe, pretty sure the Dell Server is part of the deal. I honestly can't see it any other way. EVO is not bad but there are some big differences between it and full blown prinergy. Honestly it's a glorified PDF refiner with trapping. I've never used Preps 6 but preps 5 is working just fine so far. Hopefully they won't pull some crap and make it not work with future revisions making you upgrade to Preps 6.

We have the Dell EVO server and my G5 Intel running 10.6.5. Works fine enough. There are a few hiccups with file transfers but that's really all I have seen.

P.S. 5.3.3 is the most recent Preps iirc.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy