Varnish inks workflow using Nexus Manager

Started by MadMich, February 24, 2011, 10:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMich

My client wants to see varnish/technical inks as individual pdf's. These are initially built in Illy on different layers and I have no control over this. There can be up to 12 different ink possibilities

I have set up a workflow in nexus manager which does this but it is too slow! Basically it involves importing a scope pdf file several times, using the layers plugin to determine which layer to turn on and off/abandon or continue and then export to pdf.

Does anyone have any examples/ideas of a more efficient route than importing so many times? I know it would be much quicker to import the file once but I just can't get it to work.

Here is how i have it set up at the moment:
Workflow > select pdf > import > layers (Gloss Varnish) > export to pdf > rasterise composite pdf > copy file
                                > import > layers (Matt Varnish) > export to pdf > rasterise composite pdf > copy file
                                > import > layers (Emboss) > export to pdf > rasterise composite pdf > copy file
...repeated several times more!

Any help would be appreciated

G_Town

Quote from: MadMich on February 24, 2011, 10:24:52 AMMy client wants to see varnish/technical inks as individual pdf's. These are initially built in Illy on different layers and I have no control over this. There can be up to 12 different ink possibilities

I have set up a workflow in nexus manager which does this but it is too slow! Basically it involves importing a scope pdf file several times, using the layers plugin to determine which layer to turn on and off/abandon or continue and then export to pdf.

Does anyone have any examples/ideas of a more efficient route than importing so many times? I know it would be much quicker to import the file once but I just can't get it to work.

Here is how i have it set up at the moment:
Workflow > select pdf > import > layers (Gloss Varnish) > export to pdf > rasterise composite pdf > copy file
                                > import > layers (Matt Varnish) > export to pdf > rasterise composite pdf > copy file
                                > import > layers (Emboss) > export to pdf > rasterise composite pdf > copy file
...repeated several times more!

Any help would be appreciated

Why are you rasterizing the PDF? that's probably eating up a big chunk of time.

Also you should be able to set up a WF that selects all the layers and exports the individual pdf's through one submit.

MadMich

Thanks for the reply.

I rasterise the for 2 reasons, to display overprint simulation without relying on the client to understand how to turn on and off overprint display in acrobat (I know, I know!). And the file size of the pdf is actually a lot smaller than a vectorised version.

At them moment I do submit it just once, the workflow I indicated is all in one task.
I've attached a snapshot to show better what i mean, this works but I don't want to keep importing my file every time and if you know of a better way to simulate overprinting I'm all ears.

Cheers

MadMich

For anyone interested managed to fix this by adding control events to the workflow