Color Sequence > What is or what isn't standard????

Started by Sparky, December 07, 2007, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

OK so who put Presstek or Kodak in charge of determining what color sequence a digital 4/color press should run at?

Ours is set to K>C>M>Y. I've grown up in this trade seeing everything from YMCK, to CYKM, and every other combination you can think of.

Is there so much in the type of press? the type of ink? and or the type of screen and subject matter? what are the thoughts, theories and alternatives you use out there?

When we had a 36" single color Heidelberg, running limited edition lithos for Exclusive customers, we ran 175lpi elliptical dot screens and in the Yel, Mag, Cyn, Blk rotation. Anyone else?
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

LoganBlade

Single color press would explain your order. Tac of ink is the reasoning behindthe KCMY order. WEt ink will show transparency differently. Run a sold yellow 1st unit on a 2 color press and lay Black over it in seond. You will see why the order matters. On my 2 olor press we run KC then MY it works. I have heard KM then CY. It is what makes you happy i think. Are you talking a DI press or an IGEN type color printer?
"dyslexics have more fnu"

Sparky

DI press, a Presstek 34DI to be exact. Using Toyo Aqualess Med tack inks. If you're familiar with it, the first unit prints the black, second unit the cyan, back to the first unit for the magenta, then to the second unit for the yellow and out to delivery. I know transparency may determine order, and with a waterless system and an IR dryer unit there are more variables. I'm not from the pressroom per say, I grew up as a stripper in prepress so ink order, transparency, tack, density, etc. are now (after 35 years) becoming my new learning curve.

p.s. this isn't a bitch, just a curiosity ???
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"