Plate output for another shop to plate

Started by Farabomb, July 11, 2013, 07:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Well I'm back to getting 1 bit TIFFs to work. I got the TIFF catcher to accept the size and resolution (2540?). I have to switch it because it's outputting negative now but that's easy.

Issue I'm having is there is no plate setback. I know I can set it in preps but then I have to make sure I picked the right impo and when we get a platesetter I have to go back and change them all. Is there a setting in prinergy where I can do setback there?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on August 13, 2013, 08:10:43 AMWell I'm back to getting 1 bit TIFFs to work. I got the TIFF catcher to accept the size and resolution (2540?). I have to switch it because it's outputting negative now but that's easy.

Issue I'm having is there is no plate setback. I know I can set it in preps but then I have to make sure I picked the right impo and when we get a platesetter I have to go back and change them all. Is there a setting in prinergy where I can do setback there?

there is, but I can't remember offhand where it is. I do recommend that you do it in Prinergy and not Preps though. Joe?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Looking in the layout in the process template I may be able to shift the image there. I'll test it out and report back.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on August 13, 2013, 08:55:26 AMLooking in the layout in the process template I may be able to shift the image there. I'll test it out and report back.

there it is, under layout.
vdp donkey

Joe

Yep, under layout. We have Process Templates setup for each press because, as you would expect, they are all different.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Question, does the platesetter (fuji one with hedi RIP so I'll assume it's a screen device) image at the plate edge? If I wanted the image setback say 1.4375 I would just put that as a negative number into prinergy and it should give me that?

Of course I wanted to do test plates but no, the boss said we'll just worry about it when that job comes back from proofing. Guess what job just came back?

I know fuck me, right?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

in my experience, it's trial and error. Requires outputting a plate and measuring something you've imaged. If you can't do that, you're going to be in for a surprise.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Yea, that's what I figured but guess what, I'm kinda flying blind.

At least the dude at the other place is kinda smart and likes me but fuck, why does things always have to be so difficult?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

well, as long as he can read a ruler and is willing to do some measurements for you, it could work out sort of easily.
vdp donkey

t-pat

what we do is image a rectangle the size of the sheet, or just a line at the lead edge of the paper. Having the press specs in hand, then you measure from lead edge of plate to that rectangle, you get the picture.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Yea, I just got off the phone with him and the plate was already thrown away so no measurements for me. He did say it images at the edge of the plate so in theory set it back in prinergy to my spec and I should be good.

Yea, I'll let you know how that works out.  :shoots_self:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on August 13, 2013, 11:33:39 AMin my experience, it's trial and error. Requires outputting a plate and measuring something you've imaged. If you can't do that, you're going to be in for a surprise.

To keep from wasting plates just run the one-bit tiff to your job folder, or somewhere you can access it, and then open the one-bit tif in Photoshop and measure. Repeat until you get the setback you want. But I'm pretty sure on ours we enter the exact amount we want it to move.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

That's what I have been doing to make sure I'm moving it the right way. I'm trying to get him to upload a file from his system so I know where he's at and I can put mine where I need it.

Of course I just found out we have an issue with the press where we can't tell if the cylinders are at 0. Sometimes I wonder how we manage to not fuck up everything.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

look the spec up in the book that came with the press. The chimps love rolling cylinders and forgetting to put them back. Can't chase variables.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Ha, I asked one day when we got prinergy what the setback was and the pressman looked at me confused.

That's something I will deal with after we get a platesetter here. I have a list of shit that has to be dealt with so we can stop having band-aid fixes on everything. Doing that in order to get a job out is fine but not going back and revisiting the issue to make it right is dumb. Just because it worked for one thing is no reason to let it ride and not deal with the problem.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job