News:

Main Menu

Who's busy?

Started by Farabomb, October 22, 2015, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 09, 2017, 07:40:46 AMNever had 2 slow days like this for a long time.

But the work is LOOMING, like a band of tornadoes on their way. Not worrying, just worrying about WTF I am gonna so for the next 3.5 hours cause I am wired up to be busy all the time.

Spending a lot of time on here, trying to look busy.

We were busier than hell from Jan - Mar. Then it was like the tap turned off in April. We have been dead slow since the start of April and June is the slowest I've seen it since we went digital. I'm taking Mondays off starting next week until Labour Day. Hopefully things pick up, but I often wonder if the suits at head office have been complacent & left it too long to upgrade our prepress and our presses, die cutters and gluers, etc. Perhaps we are suffering the consequences of not being as efficient as our competitors. I only have to think of the once-giant Blackberry to see how fast fortunes can change in our ever-changing world right now.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

mc hristel

The last few weeks have been a mixed bag here. Conventional has been fairly spotty but the digital work has been pouring in non stop. Since I'm still the "new guy" here and my focus is not on the digital work there has been a lot of sitting around waiting for something I can work on to show up.  :-\

wonderings

We just got swamped here on Friday with stuff needed for Tuesday. Went in Saturday and Sunday to get some hand work done on some of the digital manuals we printed (had to be drilled and coiled). A few more jobs to do and of course the Xerox is down and have to wait on service. Nothing like pushing it to the wire... what a rush... I could live without.

DigiCorn

Friday was busy ALL DAY. Today, it's 10:30 and I'm out of jobs currently.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

I've re-adjusted my idea of "busy" in the last few months. If I come in & there's less than 30 jobs waiting, it'll be a slow day. Except for days like today, where it looked light but if felt like I ended up running in circles and getting nowhere. I do know one thing for certain, if I can't get some automation going it's going to quickly become a quagmire. /softball
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Would someone please stop this crazy train and let me off? :yuck1:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Me too! sheesh
We have Variable Data Jobs everyday now, 5 different jobs+
throw that in with a busy day and I'm overworked!!

DPSprint

oh buggar... variable data jobs test my brain far too much, give me some nice juicy client files to fix instead anyday!

Tracy

This one is a doozy too! and Everyday!
yucky

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on June 13, 2017, 04:22:42 PMMe too! sheesh
We have Variable Data Jobs everyday now, 5 different jobs+
throw that in with a busy day and I'm overworked!!

On top of my already slammed busy day with my own jobs I'm also covering jobs for a co-worker who is on vacation this week and then at 4:00 pm they dropped a variable data job on me too!

Me: So when do you need it?

Them: Tomorrow.

Me: :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Joe

Followed up by:

:hangme:  :shoots_self:  :hangme:  :shoots_self:  :hangme:  :shoots_self:  :hangme:  :shoots_self:

frailer

We'v been scarily quiet for a week +. Rest of the place reasonably busy with long runs/binds on some show programs.

Doesn't make us feel any better. New 2IC has been in a very busy place prior to this. When he hears the email chime on our 'new' Office 365 email, he's like a native on the shore, eager to exchange his coconuts for some beads and trinkets with the masts'n'sails on the horizon.

Nup.... they're always furphies.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

I started working in printing in 1979. Tuesday (yesterday) was the busiest day in all 38 years. And I am getting too old for this.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2017, 11:10:56 PMI started working in printing in 1979. Tuesday (yesterday) was the busiest day in all 38 years. And I am getting too old for this.
Big statement. Shit.... video?

Meanwhile, compadre says it "must be time to get an email with job download link..."

It's 10 mins to home time.
He's probably right.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Thankfully no since I was running around like my hair was on fire most of the day.