xx
Looking for a job that pays 6 figures
by StudioMonkey
November 21, 2017, 07:45:18 AM

xx
Kodak Prinergy Cloud
by Joe
November 20, 2017, 05:31:42 PM

Topic: Converting CMYK 'mono' pics but leave all else intact. (Read 1462 times) previous topic - next topic

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Re: Converting CMYK 'mono' pics but leave all else intact.
Reply #30
Great, can you send me a version of how you would like them to look in Grayscale, and also some information on the settings or corrections you did?

Oops...missed this post.

If you convert any of them using the Acrobat setting and then use curves in Pitstop changing 92-94% to 100% is the look I am going for. None of the existing CM settings give me that look. And if it makes any difference the conversion is not all that bad when converting a CMYK 4 color B&W to grayscale but RGB B&W to grayscale almost always looks bad.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• abc
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Senior Product Manager, Enfocus
Reply #31
Ok, which profile do you use for Gray in Acrobat?

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #32
Here are the Acrobat CM settings along with the edit screen for the Acrobat preset that comes with Pitstop.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• frailer
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sydney, OZ.
Reply #33

And if it makes any difference the conversion is not all that bad when converting a CMYK 4 color B&W to grayscale but RGB B&W to grayscale almost always looks bad.

...confirm that, skipper.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

• DigiCorn
  • [*][*][*]
  • A legend in my own mind
Reply #34
And if it makes any difference the conversion is not all that bad when converting a CMYK 4 color B&W to grayscale but RGB B&W to grayscale almost always looks bad.

...confirm that, skipper.
...the professor and Mary Ann...
Peon/Cog

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria."
― Benjamin Franklin

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

• Farabomb
  • [*][*][*]
  • #NoLivesMatter
Reply #35
Here on Gilligan's isle.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         --Benjamin Franklin

My other job

• Slappy
  • [*]
Reply #36
Where'd this ever net out? I set my profiles to Joe's screenshots above, trying to convert a 16pg book with all RGB (should be grayscale) photos & they look flat, no matter which conversion method I try.

Went back & watched the webinar too, the Clean up Black Global isn't any better than the Convert to Color Space.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #37
Where'd this ever net out? I set my profiles to Joe's screenshots above, trying to convert a 16pg book with all RGB (should be grayscale) photos & they look flat, no matter which conversion method I try.

Went back & watched the webinar too, the Clean up Black Global isn't any better than the Convert to Color Space.

Yeah that is my issue as well. I usually use the Acrobat profile to convert images and then adjust using Pitstop Curve and Brightness/Contrast tools to make them look better. Then I turn off Pitstop color management and run the convert to grayscale action list to convert any vector and text. That is on days when I feel generous. Other days I just convert everything with color management turned off and too effing bad for the dumb-ass people that can't create proper files in the first place.

• DigiCorn
  • [*][*][*]
  • A legend in my own mind
Reply #38
We don't have a RIP, so we convert to K like this:
Peon/Cog

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria."
― Benjamin Franklin

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

• mattbeals
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Just a dude
Reply #39

Send me your pdf.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.