News:

Main Menu

XMF user manual?

Started by mariaoinonen, August 31, 2016, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariaoinonen

Is there any kind of user manual for XMF that I could upload somewhere? I´m training for printing plates with workflow I´m not familiar with and really could use some help...  :huh:  :huh:

Ear

You're supposed to get training. It is superbly involved and usually goes way beyond just how to impose a job.

I just installed the latest and greatest (Sierra)... no training, but I KWTF I'm doing.

Otherwise, you can click the help button in XMF and it will bring up a digital version of the user manual. It is a lot to weed through. You will probably only use half of the features, from day to day... it's figuring out which half, without proper training. And of course, it's prepress, so one tiny mistake will ruin the whole job. No pressure. :rotf:

... I will say it is nothing like any design software, so hopefully you have at least trained on a baby rip, like EFI... or another big one, like Prinergy. You will be a lot closer if you have experience with other RIPs.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Diddler

Quote from: mariaoinonen on August 31, 2016, 02:51:31 PMIs there any kind of user manual for XMF that I could upload somewhere? I´m training for printing plates with workflow I´m not familiar with and really could use some help...  :huh:  :huh:
As Ear says, you can use the help menu for most things but I find it more confusing sometimes. I don't know if a manual will help as everyones "workflow" is different. What version of XMF are you on?
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Sage words from ear and Diddler. I couldn't add anything, other than notch up the 'cautionary' bit a tad.
One false move and Clint's gotcha between the eyes.

... oh, except to add, XMF is strangely non-intuitive, in many aspects. OK once you get used to it, but the user interface leaves a bit to be desired, IMO. You can jump in and out of windows OK, but they don't seem to hang together too well. One of the first things to wrap your mind around is Sheets. My 2c worth is that they are the 'currency' of XMF. You can string em together to do almost anything.But, unless Burrell Smith was your uncle, you need TRAINING. It's powerful, and, as ear says, you only need to have one thing outa place, and kaboom. But that's like any complex prepress UI.. be it PREPS..whatever.

Fujifilm OZ had some login videos done by a tech at Fujifilm here, (who, I've decided, WAS related to Burrell Smith), but these were online, so can't send em to you.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

I agree with the lads from down unda... It is similar to other programs in the respect that your needs will be specific. i.e. it's rare to need all of the features of Photoshop, so you first learn the ones that suit your situation. The workflow is like Super Saiyan version of the Creative Suite. It helps to have on-site training, your first go-round, so the technician can get an overview of your environment and show you how to use the workflow.

Understand that big workflows, like XMF, are fairly gloves-off, giving an experienced operator all the control they need, but they are not easy to just "use". Unlike, say, Publisher, where you get what you get and don't have a fit. It needs to be tailored, or you need a map of the way it is currently tailored, if you are filling shoes... hotfolders or browse for file, ROOM or PDF proof, sending to CTP directly or tiff catcher... are a few of the variables. Not one of the workflows here are the same, even though some of us are using the same software.

But again, if you have operated a CTP environment before, you should be fine. If not, better find a cast-iron propeller hat, to keep your brains from leaking out.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Am I the only one that has never had official training on any of the RIPs I've used? I hear of training and all I've gotten in my 15+ years is here you go, this does this and all the rest I had to learn myself. Printdrive, Rampage, Fiery and now Prinergy that we bought brandy new and I insisted the training be included after a few weeks of me playing with it. That never happened.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I went to Rochester, NY for a week of training on Prinergy. Plus we had a week of in-house training when Kodak did the install and later 2 days of in-house training for RBA. Went to Chicago for 3 days of training on Nexus back in the day.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Yeah, I forgot Kodak was in Rochester, maybe I got the better end of the deal. Kodak sent their digital guys on our install. I had the teach them rather than the other way around.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Agreed. I haven't needed training or install techs in a decade, but the training I did receive really stuck. In particular, my color management guy, who helped with my first true workflow install, and fingerprinting since. He showed me way more than just how to run it but things like how to set up a truly bulletproof network and folder setup.

Tracy

On the Server in XMF Resources there may be some videos.
and I think you can get the Manual online? I did not like the manual tho.