Insite 8 and custom ICC Profiles for MatchPrint Virtual

Started by johnny_jay, March 02, 2017, 08:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Have they gotten around to being able to show you the offending issue or is it still just a word soup of we found this on page whatever, good luck finding it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

No, ever since they decided to use Beavis and Butthead as their sole usability focus group things have just went to hell.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on March 03, 2017, 08:20:18 AMOne thing about having a support contract, I am not shy about opening cases.

John

Also complain loudly about all of the low res image warnings in the preflight of the normalized files because of the trap images being created and then flagged as low res.

Farabomb

Seriously, the preflight still won't point to the actual issue, you have to manually go and find what the problem is? I know I'm stuck in the dark ages here but I figured by now they'd catch up to pitstop that can at least point you to the issue.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Oh you meant the actual preflight. It is the same preflight that is in Acrobat and Callas PDF Toolbox. It works good and has a lot of features that I don't even know what they are. But the way Kodak implemented it in Prinergy looks like it was done by the people at the meth house down on the corner. Insite Smart Review was designed to show the customer the preflight for the file they upload. That is not possible at present as Kodak, in their infinite wisdom :sarcasm: , decided to show the customer the preflight on the normalized file which for example is performed after the color conversion takes place so it does not flag RGB images that were in the customer file because by the time the preflight occurs they are no longer RGB. We recently had a customer complain about color and we explained their original images were RGB so things can happen during the color conversion. Then they pointed out the preflight did not say anything about RGB images. They wanted the job reprinted for free. We ended up doing it again for half price. (in reality the conversion was not bad at all but the fact the images were NOT flagged to the customer as RGB doomed us) Kodak doesn't understand why that is a problem. I wonder if they would be willing to pay for our half of the re-print? When pigs fly!!!

Joe

Kodak just applied a patch for me on Insite 8 today that finally fixes the blurry pages in Preview on a Retina display. Everything looks sharp and clear now. Smart Review wasn't as bad as Preview but now compared to how clear the pages look in Preview they now look kind of fuzzy in Smart Review. They told me they will try to get that fixed in the next major upgrade for Insite. I assume they will now make the patch available to everyone else now. Be looking for patch "INST8719Patch801_102 _v2" in the near future. They may knock off the v2 at the end. v1 didn't really improve anything when they tried it last week so it may just be called "INST8719Patch801_102" when it is released.

johnny_jay

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2017, 09:16:32 PM
Quote from: johnny_jay on March 02, 2017, 10:16:42 AMWe have not tried Preflight plus yet. I remember at GUA they said the preflight plus would work how you want it to so that stinks.

John

Hey if you get a few minutes put in a support request that you want to use Preflight Plus and have the customers see the preflight for the original file instead of the normalized file. The more people asking for that the better chance of seeing it actually being implemented.

Finally tried Preflight plus,  and yes, this sucks, opened a support case moments ago.

John
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

Thanks. Nice to know I am not the only one that thinks it sucks. Kodak was quite proud of themselves.

johnny_jay

My God, it works worse than I thought.

My pre-normalized does not show at all. There is no point, there is no way I can get customers to download a preflight report.
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on May 17, 2017, 02:04:42 PMMy God, it works worse than I thought.

My pre-normalized does not show at all. There is no point, there is no way I can get customers to download a preflight report.

Bingo! How in hell did Kodak's developers and engineers thinks showing the customers a preflight report for the normalized file was a good thing? Common sense would be to at least give us a choice of what to show the customers...original file or normalized file preflight report! I can't even imagine a scenario where I would want customers to see a preflight report on the normalized files but Kodak sure thinks it is great! And the trapping in Prinergy creates a lot of low res images. And that preflight report of the normalized files flags every damn one of them and customers are like :wtf: is this?

johnny_jay

I am supposed to have a call to share my screen sometime soon. I found the pdf reports, I can't use those. I need it to show in Insite.

John
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on May 18, 2017, 09:28:37 AMI am supposed to have a call to share my screen sometime soon. I found the pdf reports, I can't use those. I need it to show in Insite.

John

You can have it preflight both the original and the normalized files then remove the normalized reports and rename and move the original file preflight reports into the folder for the normalized reports and then it shows in Insite. But what a pain in the ass that is. Kills the automation Kodak so highly publicizes.

johnny_jay

Interesting development, the Kodak support tech could not get anything to show on Insite.

:facepalm:

I looked at the pdf report, I can never get customers to look at proofs yet again. It's hard enough to get them to look at the preflight problems right in front of them in Smart Review.

John
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert

Joe

You have to have the XML box checked for the report to show in Insite. (No it doesn't work on the original file preflight.  >:(    )

johnny_jay

Yes, I had it working with that. The support person must not have had that checked.

After a few days, Kodak said that Pre-normalize and post normalize preflight cannot show in Insite at this time but will work in a future release.

Same old story.

John
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert