Split already imposed book to single pages

Started by Diddler, April 27, 2017, 09:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diddler

I've been given the "only" files that the client has, which are already imposed as a Saddle Stitched book. We now have to print this book as a Perfect bound. It is imposed as 4pp Sheetwork currently, we want to print as 16pp Perfect. As i know that I can't use this impo as currently stands, I need to split to seperate pages and re-impo. Has anyone a quick workaround or option for doing this? Apart from cutting out each individual page in XMF or pitstop or worse still place back into Indy and re export.

Hope that one of you out there in the magical prepress land can help me out.

Cheers
Brad

You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

Unfortunately I think the Indy option is the best thing to try.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Split pages in half in pitstop isn't a good option?
It will add new marks and center, you would just have to rearrange the pages.

Farabomb

Personally, I'd place one in indy, take the measurements and just type them in. Prinergy has a split spreads option but I still haven't gotten the hang of it. The main reason for that is I haven't gotten spreads in years.

I know this means I'll be getting 5 in the next week but we need more work, no matter how shitty.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

zox

Pitstop works fine as Tracy pointed out, but you have to reshuffle the pages.
We are using Heidelberg Printready and their Acrobat plugin has this option that is really good as it gives you control over splitting and shuffling at the same time so you get proper result without doing anything after.

Joe

Pitstop and Prinergy both have the ability to split a spread in half which will work if the imposed sheets only have the two pages on it  which would in this case although you would have the extra sheet info on each page not to mention the new file wouldn't have proper trim and bleed boxes. In would be nightmare on a web sheet that might have up to 32 (or more) pages on each sheet.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Hey Diddler, if you right click on a page in the reading order in XMF, you can split for left binding. You'll want to select all the pages you want split, then you'll get a menu with how you want it done. You'll have to rearrange the pages, but it is pretty convenient.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Diddler

Quote from: AaronH on April 28, 2017, 05:54:07 PMHey Diddler, if you right click on a page in the reading order in XMF, you can split for left binding. You'll want to select all the pages you want split, then you'll get a menu with how you want it done. You'll have to rearrange the pages, but it is pretty convenient.
I know I can split the pages as spreads in XMF but I have 4pp to view and rotated head to head. Splitting as a Left/right bind or brochure just won't work for me in this instance. I have tried to KIB but to no avail.
Looks like it am stuck going down the Indesign path and export as a new PDF. 
Maybe I should work out an action in Pitstop for the next occasion this happens.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

If I'm reading you right, you have Exported PDFs of, effectively, 4-to-view sheets, as though to be rendered for plate, (saddle stitch).
So really, sorta 'stitched' head-butted' printers' spreads? So, they're useless, as pairs, for the transition to Burst. Bugger. (I suspect someone's hiding something from someone, if you can't get you hands on the original single pages, but it is the conniving rug-pullin world of print).
 Isn't there something under Scripts, in Indy, that will serially place pages?

But first you'd have to copy the file, then Rotate all pageseither 90º left or 90º right, on each file.

These could possibly be Script-placed as DPSs. (Step 1), anchoring so that 2 of the pages are effectively discarded in each run.
These you could possibly then bring in to XMF, and do Split Pages for Binding, as previously suggested. File labelling/numbering would be critical. But the advantage would be you'd be sending em straight into a Burst Impo in XMF. A Joyce Mayne situation (only Aussies will get this).

Are you sure you haven't, perhaps inadvertently, insulted a print rep recently. Someone's trying to break your spirit by the looks.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Quote from: Diddler on May 01, 2017, 05:57:50 PM
Quote from: AaronH on April 28, 2017, 05:54:07 PMHey Diddler, if you right click on a page in the reading order in XMF, you can split for left binding. You'll want to select all the pages you want split, then you'll get a menu with how you want it done. You'll have to rearrange the pages, but it is pretty convenient.
I know I can split the pages as spreads in XMF but I have 4pp to view and rotated head to head. Splitting as a Left/right bind or brochure just won't work for me in this instance. I have tried to KIB but to no avail.
Looks like it am stuck going down the Indesign path and export as a new PDF.
Maybe I should work out an action in Pitstop for the next occasion this happens.
Whomever sent you imposed 4pg spreads needs to be brought out into the square and shot in the knees, left for a few hours to think about what they've done then made to work with only ragemaker for a month.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

It was probably printed that way at another shop, client didn't pay the bill, so now you get the joy. Only with new job specs.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

just a wild thought, make your planning match the supplied imposition?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Tracy

It went from Saddle stitch to perfect bind

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

StudioMonkey

If these are the only files the client has, this is due to one of two reasons;
1) these are the only files supplied to the client by the designer
2) these are the first files they find and they can't be arsed to look properly

1) raises a question - why would the designer supply the client with imposed files?  Unless of course they got all the job files, which leads us back to 2)

BTW I would crop the pages down to single pages and reimpose in InDesign
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana