Is there any ways XMF can map process colour CMYK to 1 pms?

Started by malam, May 19, 2017, 03:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malam

I using XMF not more than 4 months, feeling everyday I know a few about this giant.
Is there any ways XMF can map process colour CMYK to 1 pms?
Or few process colors to few pms (C to PMS032, M to PMS3459)?
 :facepalm:

Mohammed Alam

Tracy

I don't think you can remap process colors in XMF
You can with pitstop tho

AaronH

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to add an ink from within the Job Ink Management tab of Job Settings, then alias it to one of your other colors. It shows up as a color under Cyan for example. I haven't yet tried this and don't know what it would do for sure but it is something you could definitely give a shot.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

malam

Quote from: AaronH on May 19, 2017, 05:50:44 PMI haven't tried this, but you might be able to add an ink from within the Job Ink Management tab of Job Settings, then alias it to one of your other colors. It shows up as a color under Cyan for example. I haven't yet tried this and don't know what it would do for sure but it is something you could definitely give a shot.

can you explain a bit more. I have been told process color (CMYK) can't be mapped in xmf.
Mohammed Alam

AaronH

Sure thing. On the left, under job structure, you'll want to select "Job Description"; see Screen Shot 1, it is highlighted teal/green  to show it is selected. Then select the three ink drops tap under the job settings; see Screen Shot 2. Under the available inks dropdown menu, you can scroll down and select from a wide assortment of inks (hopefully they are installed, I have no idea where to get them if they are not); see Screen Shot 3. Last step would be to map/Alias your ink to an existing ink in your job, in this example I mapped PMS 111 C to Cyan; Screen Shot 4.

Please note I have not actually tried this, I'm packing up for the day at my shop. If I have time early next week I'll give it a shot and see what happens. We have one job that runs through the shop that is two color PMS but the customer sends everything in as CMYK though only using magenta and black and we just plate those two and note which Pantones go to which plate.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

malam

Mohammed Alam

frailer

Aaron's advice is good. Tool around in there. But bear in mind you'll need to be in a workflow that is not set up to convert all Spots to Process, (AFAIK, anyway). If you're in one that allows Spots, you'll be able to convert and retain that Spot to plate.

XMF is fulll of non-intuitive bolt holes. It's worse that Alice in Wonderland, and yes, you will fall down some holes.

But it's powerful, once you've wrestled with it over time. Fire questions here. Answers, (so far), are free.   :hello:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Any of the workflows I've used you can remap spots to CMYK but not the other way. It would be wonderful if it did but normally I have to kick back the file or recreate it as a spot job. Pitstop, as Tracy mentioned, if quite good at it but can't fix all issues.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Aaron is on the right track. I use color mapping regularly, but not usually mapping to spot... usually because mapping multiple colors to spot turns into a mess.

I find it better in PitStop... or Illustrator. If you are just trying to run a 1 color job as spot on a litho press, just output Black and ink the press with whatever you want.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black