Swan song advice re Mini/Black Magic/clean-up

Started by frailer, May 21, 2017, 08:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Black Magic is choking between the Image & Render phases, on larger files. OK we do have big image files here, and it's always been slow, but it's now stalling; effectively freezing. Have twice shut down the Mini it runs on, the 2nd time a button off.

AFAIK, Black Magic does some Neil/Young Ones heavy HD data swaps as it tries to rotate 90º, which it has to for our 7900.

I just did a separate readers' spreads job on a 44pp A5 program, so it can crunch them, which it's doing in the smaller bites.
I'll have to do a tape up of these pages so the press guys have an imposed proof.
Am thinking of quitting Serendipity when it's finished, and run either applejack, or Onyx, which I've downloaded for 10.6.
But I can drop applejack off my iMac, into Mini Apps folder, and give it a run.

At a loss to know why, at this stage it is freezing, rather than taking a loooong time.

I've emailed FujifilmMan.

Any reason to use Onyx over applejack? Am nervous that I'll break something during this process.
Hi from Monday. :tonofbricks:

Of course, Mr Murphy has decreed that I go through this before the upgrade. Why should I be exempt.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Is it just stalling on the ones that have to be rotated? If so can you have XMF rotate them before they get to the BM?

How much free space is there on the HD? Sounds like once it uses HD space for virtual memory it may be running out of space? Just a guess s though.

I think the last version of OS X that applejack supported was 10.6 so it should work fine on it. Anything after 10.6 though I would not use applejack.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

I was wrong about the rotation. It rotates once it's jumped over to the Rendering queue.
It's stalling, but only, really, on this particular job's files. (A large multi-national entertainment company stage musical. :lipssealed:
Resorting to placing pairs of pages to get them to go over, and proof, so by-passing imposed proofs on this job.
PITA, but not a show-stopper. I think it's sheer volume of data not being able to be written to memory, (HD..in this case, as BM files are too big for RAM as it was then...this may have cjanged 11 years later :eyeroll:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Farabomb

"A large multi-national entertainment company stage musical."

Don't worry we won't tell. We know it's this.

http://www.puppetryofthepenis.com/
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on May 23, 2017, 06:35:28 AM"A large multi-national entertainment company stage musical."

Don't worry we won't tell. We know it's this.

http://www.puppetryofthepenis.com/
Hahaha..... nah. But if I told you who, it'd be see ya in court time.

In better news, the log flie was flagging the 'inbuilt' digital dielines we bodgy up in XMF, which get interpreted/renderd in the XMF job, but
a) don't allow themselves to be plated
b) have no effect on the plate file. We have them become KO'd in Black Magic Virtual press.

Log file flagged they were being unsuccessfully sought, so looping endlessly. We've ditched em until The Big Upgrade, soon to be made into a blockbuster for international release.
So we've returned to The Li'l Mini sloooowly crunching away, as before. When it's de-commissioned, I'm gonna install a little red light, and have it on a shelf in the corner, and worship it each morning, like a religious icon. No. I'm serious!