Pinergy 1 bit tiff outputs - redirecting

Started by andyfest, June 01, 2017, 07:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

This is a question for you Prinergy users out there. We use Nexus at our facility and our sister company uses Prinergy. Right now they are outputting from Prinergy directly to a drop folder on a Fuji XMF Gateway server for plating purposes. They (sister company prepress) don't know that they are generating 1 bit tiffs right now - the Fuji tech did confirm to me though. If they wanted to send us some work I'd like to use their 1 bits and plate here, instead of them sending imaged plates 250 km to our plant, risking dings and scratches. How does one create a new workflow (?) in Prinergy to redirect the 1 bits to an alternate location i.e.: re-direct the 1 bits to a new destination folder, not the drop folder on the Gateway server - only for jobs that they are sending here. That way the 1 bits could be transferred from their location to our location via our common cloud-based ftp server and we could image the plates here.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I copied our plating workflow and in the fire delivery I pointed it to a folder I made on the prinergy server. I would assume you can point it to your upload folder for the cloud and it would send them there.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

We use Prinergy CONNECT so if they have EVO this might not make sense but on our Final Output template under the device tab we use this:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

The Output Type needs to be set to 'Absolute File or Printer' to send to a network share.

To enter the network share you have to enter the address like this: //ctp-l2/L2/Data/Bitmaps/FUJI HARRIS 850 L to get what you see in the attached screenshot. ctp-l2 is the name of the pc and L2 is the name of the share and Data/Bitmaps/FUJI HARRIS 850 L is the folders within the L2 share. Hitting the browse button will only work on shares that have been put into the Prinergy Administrator settings on the Prinergy server. You cannot browse to just any network shares on your network via that button which is why you have to enter the address like I have shown above.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

steve4

Joe is correct, you must add the network share using the Prinergy Administrator app on the Prinergy server. Open the program and go to Tools\Network File Share Configuration.
The only constant in printing is change.
Prinergy 8, InSite 7.5, Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 (x2), Heidelberg Harris M-130, Heidelberg Harris M-110, 72" x 120" Therme 5090XL 5-color In-line, 62" x 84" Theime 5060 6-color In-Line, 62" x 120" Kongsberg XL (x2), HP Indigo 7500 (x2), KODAK Digimaster (x2), EFI VUTEk HS125 Pro, EFI VUTEk LX3 PRO, 63" x 126" Inca Onset S40i and a KBA 106 & KBA 205 by end of year.

andyfest

Thanks guys. I've taken screenshots of your screenshots. They are talking about farming some work up to us hicks in the boonies if they get busy in the big, shiny city this summer. We could use the work - it's looking pretty dead in June right now.

Joe

Quote from: steve4 on June 01, 2017, 01:09:50 PMJoe is correct, you must add the network share using the Prinergy Administrator app on the Prinergy server. Open the program and go to Tools\Network File Share Configuration.

I am not a fan of adding a lot of shares into the Prinergy Administrator which is why instead of doing that I just put the network path like this:

//ctp-l2/L2/Data/Bitmaps/FUJI HARRIS 850 L

As long as that path already exists Prinergy will use it without any problems.

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on June 01, 2017, 08:00:21 AMI copied our plating workflow and in the fire delivery I pointed it to a folder I made on the prinergy server. I would assume you can point it to your upload folder for the cloud and it would send them there.
If it were easier for them I'd just have them export jobs to a folder on one of their Mac desktops and then upload the whole folder of work they want to farm out to us to the cloud.

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on June 01, 2017, 01:28:28 PMThanks guys. I've taken screenshots of your screenshots. They are talking about farming some work up to us hicks in the boonies if they get busy in the big, shiny city this summer. We could use the work - it's looking pretty dead in June right now.

One problem you might have is if they are moving their image on the plate a certain distance for their press it probably won't be in the right spot on the plate for your press. We have output templates for each press because they are all different. We move the image off center in the Layout tab of the Final Output process template. Plus you have to worry about mirroring and rotating in the Layout tab as well too.

Ear

I agree with Joe. I run plates for some of the other shops in the area, when they break down, etc... some sheetfed, some of the newspapers and they are all different sizes and setbacks. I have special templates for each of them but I still want them to submit PDF, as if we were printing the thing, complete with proof. PDF workflow and pre-stripped jobs do not jive to well.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Me being the guy with the broken machine what Ear has experienced is what we ran into when we sent 1 bits. Our solution was to output an imposed PDF out of preps and they dropped it into signa and placed it as a full sheet. It basically was a 28x40 blank impo. Since we run one press we export to plate size because the kodak installers couldn't understand why we wanted marks beyond the paper edge. They never heard of a sideguide, seriously. This gave me all the marks we're used to, our setback and it worked fine for about a year. The pressmen were bitching about having to cut plates but they always need to complain about something.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on June 01, 2017, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: andyfest on June 01, 2017, 01:28:28 PMThanks guys. I've taken screenshots of your screenshots. They are talking about farming some work up to us hicks in the boonies if they get busy in the big, shiny city this summer. We could use the work - it's looking pretty dead in June right now.

One problem you might have is if they are moving their image on the plate a certain distance for their press it probably won't be in the right spot on the plate for your press. We have output templates for each press because they are all different. We move the image off center in the Layout tab of the Final Output process template. Plus you have to worry about mirroring and rotating in the Layout tab as well too.
Their plate set-back is the same as ours, but they use 1/16 in more gripper. No big deal. The rotation could be an issue though, and the cutback curves for their M-R presses could be different than our Heidi's....hmmmm.

Ear

Yep, you're correct to think about the curves. I have a 150lpi linear screen that I use for outside sheetfed plates. For the 100lpi newsprint, my black coldset has almost no curve, so I use it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black