More variable info needed

Started by Joe, June 13, 2017, 11:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Need to do some raffle tickets numbered 1- 2000. They need to be numbered like below for each page where the first page would be 1 - 5. Page 2 would 6-10. Page 3 would be 11-15, etc...up through the last page which would be 1996-2000. One problem though is that the spacing between row 1 and 2 should be 2 inches while the spacing between rows 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 needs to be 1.25 inches. Is that even possible in InDesign?

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Finally figured this out. Placed text boxes down the far most left column positioned as needed and linked them each to the same data file then entered the amount of space needed horizontally between the fields. They show up just like the illustration above now. Now to see if they actually hit the paper where they need to on a color copier that should have been sent to the junkyard years ago.

DigiCorn

The way we do (and maybe you do too; it wasn't crystal clear) is that we make multiple columns in Excel (A, B, C headers, etc. for each column). Then we add the formula for numbering to each column. When we place in ID, we create a separate text box in the correct position for each number.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

That kind of sounds like what I did. The excel document was just one column numbered 1 - 2000.

DPSprint

welcome to my world...
This is what I have to do as we print the files a few times up, between 2 and 20 up depending on size.
Some files have thousands of data fields and i have to split them into the number of times up in the data file.
 Exactly as Digicorn does

biggest was around 16000 names (plus address info in separate columns, so about 7 fields i think)... it takes forever to select half that many and cut and paste into the second set of fields (for 2up).
I have yet to figure out how to do it another way (and yet my math brain says there must be a way?!), and even my mum who was an excel guru cant work out how... I know f all about spreadsheets.

Numbers are a whole lot easier to split

Joe

You don't need to make it two up in the excel file if that is what you meant. To make the numbers 6 up on my page I created 6 text boxes vertically and linked each text box to the same field in the data file. Data merge did all the work from there. Turned out to be really easy.

DPSprint

Its not quite that easy as these are printed and then stacked, they have to stay in postcode address order, as in left half stacks on top of right...
this is the 2up version

the cool thing is that indeisgn recognises when a data field has the same name and just adds in a '1' after it in the fields.

oh and we add a sheet number onto the printed sheet, makes it easy to know if a sheet gets damaged along the process

pabney

I use XMPie for this, which makes it easy. However, if all you have to work with is InDesign Merge, take a look at the Colecandoo script that will adjust your data for you. Read this page for more info.

DPSprint

Quote from: pabney on June 15, 2017, 07:24:26 AMI use XMPie for this, which makes it easy. However, if all you have to work with is InDesign Merge, take a look at the Colecandoo script that will adjust your data for you. Read this page for more info.

oooooo I'm excited reading this!! ;-)