Freelance Pre-Press Opportunities

Started by julia5crowd, November 12, 2017, 05:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julia5crowd

I'm with a company called 5Crowd — we connect big brands with top talent from around the world to take on freelance project opportunities from the comfort of their own home.

We're currently on the lookout for some talented Pre-Press Operators to join our virtual talent pool of freelancers who are working on projects for organizations like Kraft, Nestle and Budweiser. We're specifically looking for talent with 1-3 years of experience in a printing environment who have operator skills, familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and understand trapping and stepping.

A few notes on what it's like to work with us via 5Crowd:
  • You'll get email notifications for new projects that you're a match for, and you'll have the opportunity to submit a proposal for any project you're interested in or decline those that aren't a good fit. We'll let you know if you're awarded a project by kicking things off in our online workroom, where all communications will take place.
    You would be working remotely and be required to supply your own materials (e.g. software, hardware, etc).
    All project information is confidential in nature so we would ask that you do not share it publicly in your portfolio.
    There are no fees to use our platform, so the price you quote is the price you're paid.

If you're interested, please feel free to submit an application here. Based on your application, next steps would include a short onboarding process including a pilot project to assess if working together is a good fit. Looking forward to working together!

ninjaPB_43

Your recruiting won't go over well here...  may want to head back over to print planet   :lmao:

I think insinuating that printers need help with their trapping and stepping because their pre-press can't handle it is going to insult the professionals here.

:facepalm:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Tracy

I think it's for Freelance Design work, which wouldn't be a bad thing if you needed the work.
Not sure why they would need to know trapping, but It couldn't hurt! :laugh:

Joe

It is for prepress Tracy as it has been posted at PP that ninja mentioned.

I'm not offended though. But I don't want people trapping and imposing the files before we get them. I could see prepress being used by this place to preflight and to fix the messes that designers create before sending it to a printer though. Good preflighting and repair isn't all that easy for the common designer. They just make it pretty. We make it work.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

We are getting more and more 1 up carton files in that have been trapped and prep'd by an agency acting on behalf of some of our larger clients. I used to object, but I don't now, as most of the files are done pretty professionally. We still don't allow the clients to do any imposition, RIP'ing or screening though. It does sound like Julia is looking for someone to do some finishing i.e.: trapping and maybe imposition (commercial?) on a pre-press level, although I'm not sure how one would do imposition these days without a proper RIP, and that's not something you find at "home" with a freelancer. 
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on November 15, 2017, 01:50:19 PMIt is for prepress Tracy as it has been posted at PP that ninja mentioned.

I'm not offended though. But I don't want people trapping and imposing the files before we get them. I could see prepress being used by this place to preflight and to fix the messes that designers create before sending it to a printer though. Good preflighting and repair isn't all that easy for the common designer. They just make it pretty. We make it work.

I could get behind this...  It's basically the functional role I'm in now.  Fix/preflight and hand off to a printer. I would NEVER try to think for the printer and trap and impose on a larger sheet...  That's for the printer to decide how he wants to run the job.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Me too. Minus the impo and trapping.

We split jobs up across multiple presses with different web sizes. There is just no way in hell a customer could ever setup our impositions. And as andyfest said....most home workers don't have a RIP and Imposition software sitting around at home.

Tracy

Hmm, I wouldn't want to get a trapped and stepped file
so yeah that is weird, I wouldn't be against making some extra money tho.
Not that I have the time, but I might check it out.
Need to make that 6 figures! :laugh:

Ear

Freelance Prepress? LMFAO!

Okay.... go into a printshop, no knowledge of their specific presses and try to not F up everything you plate. 

If it isn't prepping for a press, then it is design, not prepress. I think the OP just doesn't know where the line between design and prep is. I have 6 presses here and every one is completely different to prep for. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

Tracy

Ok, checked out the website, Not for prepress
Looks like Sales "creating accounts" and Design

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Ear on November 15, 2017, 02:32:40 PMFreelance Prepress? LMFAO!

Okay.... go into a printshop, no knowledge of their specific presses and try to not F up everything you plate.

If it isn't prepping for a press, then it is design, not prepress. I think the OP just doesn't know where the line between design and prep is. I have 6 presses here and every one is completely different to prep for.

So you check for registration black differently for each press  :homer: ?

Your bleed is different for each press _:Color me confused:_?

Checking for RGB images or low res images is different for each press :deadhorse:  ?  

I don't equate these tasks to design..   there is actually a good functional role in-between design and prepress. But trapping and stepping? Fuck No. That is done at the printer in prepress and likely done differently for every press.  

Ear

Yes, there are the preflight elements that you mention. Those are pre-prepress. If designers were worth a shit, they would check this but we add a preflight step to our prepress.

So the freelance prepresser has their own RIP workflow? They know the setbacks and gripper, etc.. for the sheetfed presses? For their home RIP copy. and they know which station the news web wants the half web? And they also know to RIP at 175lpi or 150 or 133lpi? And know how much trap to use for which press? And they have a platesetter, with processor? Those are the different "prepress" things I'm talking about. For the press.

Bleed and RGB is just wiping designer butt, not really prepress.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

julia5crowd replied to a post asking about this, which has now been removed, and she it replied back that it is prepress doing both trapping and step and repeat. I highly have my doubts about that part.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Ear on November 15, 2017, 03:03:13 PMYes, there are the preflight elements that you mention. Those are pre-prepress. If designers were worth a shit, they would check this but we add a preflight step to our prepress.

So the freelance prepresser has their own RIP workflow? They know the setbacks and gripper, etc.. for the sheetfed presses? For their home RIP copy. and they know which station the news web wants the half web? And they also know to RIP at 175lpi or 150 or 133lpi? And know how much trap to use for which press? And they have a platesetter, with processor? Those are the different "prepress" things I'm talking about. For the press.

Bleed and RGB is just wiping designer butt, not really prepress.

Wiping a designers butt isn't exactly design either.  I wasn't disagreeing with you at all.

Also - I can't for the life of me see how this company makes any money. They don't charge to use their "proprietary online workroom" - unless they're taking the lowest "quote" and marking it up to give to their client.