PDF to Indesign Software

Started by Tracy, November 21, 2017, 11:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Anybody Use the pdf to Indesign software?
The one I see is called PDF2ID

almaink

I had it back when it first came out for CS2. It did an OK job but text reflowed most times and item positions were sometimes wrong. It only did one page of a PDF at a time to as I recall. I put my money into Pit Stop as it was easier to just fix the PDF in Acrobat then converting to InDesign. This may have all changed since it's been out for many years now. Try the demo and see how you like it.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Tracy

I'm going to try the trial
Salesman is having me convert a 30pg doc to Indesign for the customer.

I did one for the same customer a couple weeks ago.
It had tables etc.. argh! exporting to word, I was able to get the tables out tho.
Why? :rolleyes:

I figure for what were charging, it will pay for the software.
I will report back
Thanks Almaink

Farabomb

Sounds like they stiffed the designer and they're making you rebuild it instead of just paying them what is owed so they release the native documents.

Or the dumbasses don't believe in backups.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I think they are that unorganized, I see the pdf I have was created with Indesign.

the pdf2id did not work that well, It doesn't work well with tables
a few pages worked pretty good, a few pages had a bunch of text boxes overlapping
and some text bolded etc..

ninjaPB_43

Just place the PDF pages in InDesign, save an .Indd, send it to them and call it a day...   :lmao:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Tracy

Ear

Quote from: Farabomb on November 21, 2017, 01:54:14 PMSounds like they stiffed the designer and they're making you rebuild it instead of just paying them what is owed so they release the native documents.

Or the dumbasses don't believe in backups.
I agree. I pass on stuff like this. Sets a bad precedent. 

I tell them to quit being cheap and go hire a designer. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

It's the Salesman who can't say no :angry:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Tracy on November 22, 2017, 08:36:31 AMIt's the Salesman who can't say no :angry:

Well then the Salesman can convert the darn file too...  :git off mah lawn: :facepalm:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Farabomb

The salesman can't even open the file, nevermind fix it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

We would just charge them for creating a working file and bill them hourly for however long it takes. Let them know the hourly charge and let them decide if they want to pay for it or maybe they will push a bit more aggressively on the person who made it in the first place to get what they need.

Tracy

I guess they're willing to pay :cry: :laugh:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Tracy on November 22, 2017, 01:32:03 PMI guess they're willing to pay :cry: :laugh:

I'm sure the customer told the salesman there was a lot of work to be gained if he helped him out with this...  I'm yet to ever experience a sales rep actually catching that pie in the sky, it always seems to vanish (or get further away) right about the time they get to it..  kinda like the end of a rainbow.

Here is a bunch of sales goblins trying to catch that rainbow pie...

Edit: Bonus points if you name the book ^...   

Tracy

Yeah It's still in the Back o the Rack :laugh: