Artpro & powerstepper

Started by SA, October 13, 2008, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SA

We have just gotten Artpro with the Powerstepper module to replace flatworker which we currently use for stepping. In flatworker we would define the sheet size and then place the cad data on the sheet a certain distance from the edge of the paper which would be the grip. We would also place our step wedge, colour bars and plate info bar to do checks that the plate is OK.

Is there anyone using this setup for stepping? We are totally confused as to how we would add all the required colour bars etc.. Once we have the stepped up artwork we would export a PDF to trueflow, but there just seems to be nowhere to add all the info we need to add to the plates. If anybody could help point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!
Riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick. Fun to do but just not in front of your friends.

G_Town

Alright, first are you using cad data for you impo? are they different size items on your layout (combo) or are you doing one size to fill the sheet?

You've got several options for S&R using cad data (nested) and other basic options to make your own impo for example in seamless you select the item under graphics file select how much bleed then generate the impo.

What you wind up with is an artpro file that contains the S&R, here is where you could add pretty much whatever colorbars marks etc that you could possibly want. We put on solid take off bars color bars for I'Ds for colors job number and a bar code on the side of the sheet for the die cutters.

Give me some more info and I'll try and walk you through it.

p.s. This is a screen of a typical layout in artpro (power stepper is a module and is integrated into artpro btw), the red areas would normally show you the graphics of the carton, needed to change it to protect the guilty).

G_Town

Sorry I see you are using cad data the makes it even easier, you would use nested under the step and repeat menu here you can click on analyze cad file with make new job and import checked this will automatically create a artprofile containing a die line from the cad and it will create a "repetition" layer, once you have centered set the grip etc you just click on the individual item on the rep layer to highlite it then go back to your nested s&r window and click apply graphics this will prompt you to find the file you want to place.

You can place PS, PDF's or a Artpro file, I think tiffs to its been a while, we place low res eps files and have nexus swap them for the 1 bits.

Hope this helps and let me know if ya got more questions.

p.s. did you get any training on Artpro? You really should if at all possible.

SA

Thanks for the quick reply! We did have a trainer here from Belgium for a week, though we still had to keep production going so the training was under constant interruption and so did not get through everything as thoroughly as needed. So now between all of us that got the training we can produce a print ready file with all the trapping etc. done and would also be able to step it to a .cf2 cad file. But thats where the problem is.

The place I work for has been around for about a thousand years and has built up a collection of thousands of die's, most of which are hand drawn ones which when needed get sent out to get drawn and sent back to us as .ai files which we would export as .DXF for flatworker. Our die makers probably get this accurate enough to use about 40% of the time, so work is usually needed on the stepped up .ai files they send through. They can send .cf2 files but chances are it would be wrong if coming straight from our die makers.

Ideally we would have the cad data in Illustrator and be able to take that over into artpro. From what ive seen so far it looks as though we would need to get a plug-in for Illustrator to export .cf2 files (the bossman has just spent close on a million rand getting in the new macs and software so dont think he would be too happy if we need to buy more software :angry:). Any ideas on how to do this?

I have had a quick look at how you explained setting the grip, adding colour bars etc. and it is starting to make more sense how it works, still f&^*ing confusing but finally feels like we getting somewhere... just wish everyone would leave me alone so I can spend some time figuring this out...
Riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick. Fun to do but just not in front of your friends.

G_Town

Dunno if the file is ai and you export a cff2 is gonna work. I'm pretty sure it needs to come straight out of a cad program to work correctly. To get the repetition layer (which aside from letting you apply graphics also acts as a mask so you can do nested graphics).

Do you have a sample of a cad ai file you might have to work with that you could send me?
also what type of file will you be placing in powerstepper?

SA

Yep, for a .cff2 cad file to work it needs to have external sub-root routines within the code controlling the step & repeat, which means that there is only a 1up die drawing within the code and instructions on how it is stepped. With other cad formats (and possibly .cff2) the cad data is all stepped up already within the code, and so without the S&R info powerstepper wont read it. The plugins you get for Illy cant do the external sub-routine thingees and so are mostly useless for us.

G_Town, another question for you.. Can you use ARD cad files to step artwork to? If not, whats the point of them? Also, do you have an address I can send one of our current cad files to?

When we do get everything working we are planning on placing artpro files into powerstepper, though we are still trying to work our workflow out so this could change to PDF. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the advice! You are the Induna!

G_Town

I'll PM you my email, not sure about the ARD cad files. I used to place artpro files for years in powerstepper so it so it does work fine +if you have to make a change you just edit the artpro file and resend the impo to the rip.

I've also used pdfs sucessfully.

G_Town

I'm out Thursday and didn't get a chance to check it out, I'll look at it Friday SA.

beck

I'm back from vacation on Monday.  On company time, I'll see where you are on Monday, and give you some detailed info.

We've been on ArtPro & Power Layout for about 4 years now.  With .cf2 files, it's so easy our platemaker (who has had ONE computer class) can do it.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

SA

Cheers! We've seen how easy it is with artpro & power stepper, especially after having to work with flatworker... The problem we are having (at the moment anyway) is with our old cad data, which are .DXF and .ai files. Our die maker can batch convert .DXF to .cf2, but they do not work as they are missing external sub-routines.

So the question is how do we go about converting illustrator files into .cf2 files that work?

G_Town

haven't forgot about ya got back friday to a shit storm I should be able to look it over mon I got a couple ideas.

beck

SA,

We use PowerLayout, not PowerStepper, so I do not know if there is a difference or not.

When we ave old layouts, out Structure guys re-save them as a CF2 file from their Artios.  After they re-save, the jobs fly thru.  I do not know what versionof Artios they are using.  I can find out if you need that info.

We NEVER save, re-save, or convert any die files on our (Graphics) end...it's all done by the Structure guys.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

SA

QuoteWhen we ave old layouts, out Structure guys re-save them as a CF2 file from their Artios

well that just sucks :sad:

we have about 5000 dies to go through to save as .cf2 files and no artios... so beck, where do you want me to email the files to so that your structure guys can do this for us  :laugh: :rolleyes:

SA

Thanks G_Town and beck for the help so far! Can I bug you guys some more?

Below are some sizes to use as an example.
Plate size: 730 x 600
Paper size : 600 x 300
Trim size of cad data: 550 x 200

Now would the media box in the nested artpro file be set to the plate size, the crop box set to the paper size, the trim box set to the size of the stepped cad data and the bleed box set to the size of the stepped cad data + 4mm bleed.

Have I got this all totally confused?

G_Town

Quote from: SA on October 21, 2008, 06:54:06 AMThanks G_Town and beck for the help so far! Can I bug you guys some more?

Below are some sizes to use as an example.
Plate size: 730 x 600
Paper size : 600 x 300
Trim size of cad data: 550 x 200

Now would the media box in the nested artpro file be set to the plate size, the crop box set to the paper size, the trim box set to the size of the stepped cad data and the bleed box set to the size of the stepped cad data + 4mm bleed.

Have I got this all totally confused?

Here's how we do it here. Set all box's (media trim etc..) to plate size. Then we create a box that simulates the sheet and put it on a sheet layer set to not print. Then we have a repetition layer where the actual graphics are. Next we have a marks layer where all bars registration, form ID"s etc are located.

We have a set distance on where the gripper needs to be and is constant that we set up in the Artpro impo file. Now this is ONE way to do it, at the old place we imported the cad file did a fit to the die placed our graphics added marks in artpro along with color ID's and then printed to our brisque where we had compensated for the gripper there and not in the file.

There really is no right or wrong way on how you set it up so long as the work ends up in the right position.