Update all links of the same file in one shot

Started by prepressDog, September 27, 2007, 05:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepressDog

Anyone have an easy way to...
Lets say you have a 24up BC layout on 11x17 right.
The PDF file that was imposed was 5416_v1.pdf...
Then the customer makes changes, and your new file is 5416_v2.pdf

I want a way to globally change the link and it understand that all 24 cards / PDF files are the same.
Then updates all 24 at one shot...

doubting_thomas

CS3 has a check box the will update all instances of the link. Lower left hand corner, but
it seems a bit buggy on my machine. When it works as intended it'll do what you want. I
don't think that CS2 had the option.

prepressDog

Wow...great thanks. I'll be getting CS3 soon.
Do you run it on an intel mac?

beermonster

you could always change the name of the approved pdf to that of the original, overwrite it (the original) and indy will update it all - wallop.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

doubting_thomas

Quote from: prepressDog on September 27, 2007, 06:26:14 PMWow...great thanks. I'll be getting CS3 soon.
Do you run it on an intel mac?

Ya, I upgraded the Mac first, then got CS3 a few days later. Runs like a champ for what we do.
I haven't had to use CS2 very much at all, which is nice because CS3 runs faster on my new rig.

almaink

Just select all the links and then update from the flyout in CS and CS2.
Relinking is the bitch U gotta do each link individually.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

LRob

Quote from: beermonster on September 28, 2007, 06:10:58 AMyou could always change the name of the approved pdf to that of the original, overwrite it (the original) and indy will update it all - wallop.

This works good. I do it all the time. I wouldn't overwrite the original, I'd move it to a defferent folder. But that just me ::)

beermonster

fair point rob but lets say you have a day off and someone else finishes your job - and they get the wrong one......

bluekivi

I rename the original file(s).   filenameOLD1.pdf, filenameOLD2.pdf, and so on, and so on, etc, etc, etc!!!

That's usually how it goes. ::)

beermonster

EyeTech

Open up the links palette - go to the grey area at the bottom of the palette, click in it and then hit the update icon.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

ninjaPB_43

someone want to post a screen cap of the check box in CS3, im not seeing it...    :-[
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

ok, still not seeing it..   I have to still update individually..   :'(
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DCurry

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on October 09, 2007, 03:43:04 PMI have to still update individually..   :'(

The trick is to make sure nothing is selected in the Links palette, then hit the Update Link button either at the bottom of the palette or from the flyout. If you have a link selected, only the selected link will be updated.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DCurry on October 09, 2007, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on October 09, 2007, 03:43:04 PMI have to still update individually..   :'(

The trick is to make sure nothing is selected in the Links palette, then hit the Update Link button either at the bottom of the palette or from the flyout. If you have a link selected, only the selected link will be updated.

I STILL am not seeing that..   when I have no links highlighted in the links pallette, the "update link button" is grayed out.  only option is to click "relink button"..   and then you have to tell each link individually which file to relink to...

so I believe the answer to the original question is that there isnt a way to tell it to relink ALL of the "5416_v1.pdf" to "5416_v2.pdf" at the same time..   so I think Beer is right that you name the new file the same as what is in the layout and then do an update link, because that WILL get them all together at the same time..   and then rename the old file with an "OLD" tag or something or other..