Photoshop Virus Threat

Started by Duffy, May 10, 2012, 02:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duffy

Thought everyone who loves Adobe would really enjoy this:
Adobe has released a new security advisory.
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-11.html?PID=4003003

There is a serious bug in the latest version of Photoshop, and the fix is...buy Photoshop CS6, which includes the fix. No shit, that is the solution Adobe put on the notice.  Adobe is not even supporting the current version. They must have known about the bug when it was in the current version and held off on fixing it for the next big release. This is a new low.  :wtf:

Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

DigiCorn

What a fcuking load of horse siht. If it is that serious of a problem, Adobe needs to create a patch for 5 and 5.5.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

"Adobe is not aware of any attacks exploiting these vulnerabilities against Adobe Photoshop."

the sky is not falling.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

These are not the droids you're looking for.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

It does say that "Adobe released a security upgrade for Adobe Photoshop CS5 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh" so I don't think the only option is to upgrade to CS6. But kudos to Adobe for making people think that.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Duffy

Quote from: Joe on May 10, 2012, 03:16:20 PMIt does say that "Adobe released a security upgrade for Adobe Photoshop CS5 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh" so I don't think the only option is to upgrade to CS6. But kudos to Adobe for making people think that.

but they say:
SolutionAdobe has released Adobe Photoshop CS6 (paid upgrade), which addresses these vulnerabilities. For users who cannot upgrade to Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe recommends users follow security best practices and exercise caution when opening files from unknown or untrusted sources.

Still, just FIX IT, don't say the solution is to upgrade.  They are going to force everyone to Cloud with this type of BS so you have to be on the monthly plan or wait for the update in 12-18 months and hope the security patch resolves it.  C'MON, just support what you have out there

DigiCorn

would not surprise me at all if the virus originated from within Adobe's walls.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

GIMP is looking better and better.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Duffy on May 10, 2012, 03:24:19 PM
Quote from: Joe on May 10, 2012, 03:16:20 PMIt does say that "Adobe released a security upgrade for Adobe Photoshop CS5 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh" so I don't think the only option is to upgrade to CS6. But kudos to Adobe for making people think that.

but they say:
SolutionAdobe has released Adobe Photoshop CS6 (paid upgrade), which addresses these vulnerabilities. For users who cannot upgrade to Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe recommends users follow security best practices and exercise caution when opening files from unknown or untrusted sources.

Still, just FIX IT, don't say the solution is to upgrade.  They are going to force everyone to Cloud with this type of BS so you have to be on the monthly plan or wait for the update in 12-18 months and hope the security patch resolves it.  C'MON, just support what you have out there

I guess I'm not following but doesn't "Adobe released a security upgrade for Adobe Photoshop CS5 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh" mean that they did fix it? Or am I reading that wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I know they are one of the players vying for the title of Evil Empire and I hate their proposed Cloud Subscription plan and if they are not fixing earlier versions and making people upgrade to PS CS6 to get the fix then someone needs to take them out to the woodshed. Their statement is ambiguous at best.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 10, 2012, 03:54:50 PMGIMP is looking better and better.

Not for print work unless they have added CMYK support that I have missed. Although it is possible to start and finish a job with RGB and output a high quality RGB PDF that a printer with a modern workflow can handle without any issues. Maybe I should take on that task and put together an open source prepress bundle and illustrate how to go from design to output using RGB. I'd make a killing nothing. :cry:

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on May 10, 2012, 05:14:07 PMwhats cmyk? :lmao:

These days I'd just as soon not get CMYK files as the customers have usually screwed up their images by converting them on their own.

Duffy

Quote from: t-pat on May 10, 2012, 05:14:07 PMwhats cmyk? :lmao:

Answer - what I get when the specs are for Black and Spot

StrutzinInc

If that is a grab to make people buy CS6 bravo Adobe. However, I'm under the impression that the security update may offer a fix and a reason to stick with CS5. I'm not sure whether this security threat was an isolated instance or something that poses serious risk.

I recommend CS6 anyway based on the new features.

Tracy