PDF workflows... Is there file integrity?

Started by Aaron, February 07, 2008, 09:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Another Fuji rep. explanation of pdf workflows. There is no file integrity. True or false? They say a true pdf workflow never rips the file. Only "normalizes" it. Meaning every time you send that file to a device (proof, plate, digital press, etc.) the file has to be interpreted each time and can potentially interpret it incorrectly. Is this a problem with any of you guys using pdf workflows? They say the chance of there being an issue is about .1% but can happen. I am used to the Brisque. Rip once, plot many times.

I know the latest technology is moving to a pdf based workflow, just wondering how stable it really is.

And again, we are debating Rampage vs. Prinergy. I want Prinergy, but not sure if we have the $$ for it.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

almaink

They R blowing smoke up yer arse. I run a full PDF RAMpage workflow here and I don't use NORM I use ROOM. The beauty of PDF is small files with everything included, and they are pretty easy to do small corrections on if needed. I rarely open native files anymore for simple typo's or even color correction once the PDF's are made. Another good thing is once you make up plate templates it's a simple matter to just relink new PDF's to the old layouts. Fuji reps or any company, for the most part just tell you what they think you want to hear to sell products.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Ear

"never rips the file"? Anything that ends up going to a plotter, printer, platesetter, etc... HAS to be ripped. An imagesetter needs to plot an image and therefore has to be rendered in a RIP.

I use a Xitron Extreme and I have the option to use either ROOM or NORM depending on the job and I can change the flow of any job on the fly. It is very fast, efficient and problem free. I process thousands of jobs per year and have only had a couple of strange things happen in the RIP over the past 5 years.

PDF workflow is the ONLY way to go IMO. Reps don't use the software and in my experience don't know jack squat about how they really work. They pick up a few buzzwords from watching an install and then spit them out in fits of word-vomit.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Quote from: Earendil on February 07, 2008, 12:08:33 PM"never rips the file"? Anything that ends up going to a plotter, printer, platesetter, etc... HAS to be ripped. An imagesetter needs to plot an image and therefore has to be rendered in a RIP.
My hairy beast friend here is right. The file gets REFINED in Prinergy to PDF, then it RIPs at the devise (EFI RIP serving Epsons, Platesetter, Imagesetter, etc...) So, as opposed to Brisque which pipes HUGE ripped data files around, there is a small chance of a difference, but it's really more a theoretical chance than reality in my experience...
The risk is well worth the reward
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Aaron

Gotcha. It's ripped at the device. that's what I meant. So each device will rip the file to output. Meaning it could rip it differently for each device. No? I think the rep was just trying to scare me. I don't see how all these pdf workflows would sell if there was no file integrity.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

David

NORM here.

Quote from: Earendil on February 07, 2008, 12:08:33 PM"never rips the file"? Anything that ends up going to a plotter, printer, platesetter, etc... HAS to be ripped. 

We use an Esko Suite 7 front end here, and all the devices we have use an Esko FlexRip. Our files are Normalized and then sent to any device to be proofed or plated at which time it will be ripped for the first time. Any and all transparency is kept live until the RIP time.
I have 2 Kodak Approvals, both with FlexRips
I have an Evo box to my Trendsetter, it has a FlexRip on it.
I have 2 Lotem 800s, one with an Evo box, one with a Brisque, both have a Flexrip on them.
If there is any variation from the original file to the Ripped file, it is "fixed" with the addition of curves or Color Management.
So, you should not have any worries about using a NORM workflow, it's all good.

Bottom line, all devices will need to  RIP a file. (Illustrator and Photoshop both have built in RIPS)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

In a nutshell, yes. We went from Brisque4 to Prinergy4 and none of us would go back. Our plates look like our proofs, PDFs are "portable" (especially Prinergy, Rampage, etc.. generated PDFs) and there's your integrity.

mark_jetzer

Quote from: Aaron on February 07, 2008, 09:09:27 AMAnother Fuji rep. explanation of pdf workflows. There is no file integrity. True or false? They say a true pdf workflow never rips the file. Only "normalizes" it. Meaning every time you send that file to a device (proof, plate, digital press, etc.) the file has to be interpreted each time and can potentially interpret it incorrectly. Is this a problem with any of you guys using pdf workflows? They say the chance of there being an issue is about .1% but can happen. I am used to the Brisque. Rip once, plot many times.

I know the latest technology is moving to a pdf based workflow, just wondering how stable it really is.

And again, we are debating Rampage vs. Prinergy. I want Prinergy, but not sure if we have the $$ for it.

The key to file integrity in a PDF workflow is the workflow.  We use Prinergy.  Prinergy RIPS all the output files, tiff, DCS, Contone Tiffs.  These are sent to the various devices Magnus, GMG, Epson, everything is RIPed by the same engine in Prinergy, so consistant results. 

You get into trouble if you use Prinergy for making 1-bit Tiffs to plate, Firey for our Epson proofer, Xbrand for your Imposed Proofs.  Each Rip, Rips differently. So, trouble happens.

On another note.  If PDF workflows weren't any good.  They won't be used.  Printers HATE liabilty.

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on February 07, 2008, 12:44:41 PMGotcha. It's ripped at the device. that's what I meant. So each device will rip the file to output. Meaning it could rip it differently for each device. No? I think the rep was just trying to scare me. I don't see how all these pdf workflows would sell if there was no file integrity.

Not really. In Nexus we RIP the files to screened one-bit tiffs and then Nexus copies the screened one-bit tiffs to each device (proofers and CTP) so the ripping is only happening once. For us anyway...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Aaron

That's an intersting thread. So being a complete novice to PDF workflows, what is NORM and ROOM? And what's the difference? Is NORM what Prinergy uses and ROOM what other PDF workflows use?

jimking

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1120.msg12505#msg12505 date=1202410733
Quote from: Aaron on February 07, 2008, 12:44:41 PMGotcha. It's ripped at the device. that's what I meant. So each device will rip the file to output. Meaning it could rip it differently for each device. No? I think the rep was just trying to scare me. I don't see how all these pdf workflows would sell if there was no file integrity.

Not really. In Nexus we RIP the files to screened one-bit tiffs and then Nexus copies the screened one-bit tiffs to each device (proofers and CTP) so the ripping is only happening once. For us anyway...
That's what we do. The same 1bit tiffs are used to print proofs, film, plates.

David

NORM = normalize once, rip many
ROOM = rip once, output many
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: david on February 07, 2008, 01:14:03 PMNORM = normalize once, rip many
ROOM = rip once, output many
RENDER many :huh:

ROOM = Brisque
NORM = PDF workflows

David

I just like saying the word "rip"...

rip
rip rip
rip