Adobe CS4

Started by almaink, October 15, 2008, 07:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

CS4 is now shipping, and if you are an ASN member it's available for download.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

ninjaPB_43

Dang.  The owner let his membership expire.  :cry:  It will probably be CS5 before we upgrade again...   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

almaink

I made sure that didn't happen here. $599 isn't that much for what you get.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

gnubler

We're still using CS1 here. My fingertips haven't even graced any of the apps above version 2.

Should I be lamenting over a long list of disadvantages? Probably not.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: almaink on October 15, 2008, 11:03:03 AMI made sure that didn't happen here. $599 isn't that much for what you get.

What do you get? I personally paid less than $400 for the entire CS (version 1) four years ago. I'm still using it on my home Mac.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on October 15, 2008, 11:09:38 AM
Quote from: almaink on October 15, 2008, 11:03:03 AMI made sure that didn't happen here. $599 isn't that much for what you get.

What do you get? I personally paid less than $400 for the entire CS (version 1) four years ago. I'm still using it on my home Mac.

Individual's are not elgible for the ASN program. You have to be a print service provider. Your update from CS1 would probably run around $900. Too lazy to look it up specifically though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

I, on the other hand, don't have THAT kind of clout. 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

David

Quote from: almaink on October 15, 2008, 07:27:11 AMCS4 is now shipping, and if you are an ASN member it's available for download.

Not sure if I would want to download it. Isn't it kinda bulky, MB wise?
Just finished downloading Quark 8 the other day (they made me, I didn't want to do it) and it took about 4 hours (including the time it crapped out halfway through).
Probably wait for the disk to arrive, just to free up my workstation.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on October 15, 2008, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: almaink on October 15, 2008, 07:27:11 AMCS4 is now shipping, and if you are an ASN member it's available for download.

Just finished downloading Quark 8 the other day (they made me, I didn't want to do it) and it took about 4 hours (including the time it crapped out halfway through).

Ach, you guys are so finicky. I'll probably just dial up and let it rip. It should be done downloading within 8 days or so, and I can just walk to the gas station to make phonecalls. No big deal.

Joe

You got it all wrong. CS4 is 1,000 times faster than CS3 and fits on a single 3.5 inch floppy disk.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on October 15, 2008, 12:09:54 PM

You got it all wrong. CS4 is 1,000 times faster than CS3 and fits on a single 3.5 inch floppy disk.

...and all for $599(education price - see details inside)

Slappy

Quote from: david on October 15, 2008, 11:57:03 AMNot sure if I would want to download it. Isn't it kinda bulky, MB wise?
Nah, 4.8 GB isn't too large is it? :shocked:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

Gnub, about the only big thing CS1 had over CS2 (at least according to their ads) was Live Trace in Illustrator. I gave up on that and went back to Streamline. From what I see on the Adobe website, CS4 is so bloated you just about have to get a new computer to run it. They're talkin' 4 GB RAM, extra hard drive for a Photoshop scratch disk, etc.

For a simple solution, just download PAP!
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

gnubler

Quote from: Possum on October 15, 2008, 01:19:56 PMGnub, about the only big thing CS1 had over CS2 (at least according to their ads) was Live Trace in Illustrator. I gave up on that and went back to Streamline. From what I see on the Adobe website, CS4 is so bloated you just about have to get a new computer to run it. They're talkin' 4 GB RAM, extra hard drive for a Photoshop scratch disk, etc.

For a simple solution, just download PAP!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. While Live Trace is cool (the few times I used it), I honestly don't have that much use for it. If I truly truly needed to vectorize an image and I didn't want to draw it myself, there's always Vector Magic.

CS1 is bloated enough, and I have a fairly recent MacBook Pro. Application startup times make me stare dully at the wall waiting, sometimes for over a full minute.

Joe

This is pretty sweet on Adobe's part. Our subscription expires in a month and Adobe has removed our download privileges until we renew. :death: