Job ticket system for a small shop

Started by gnubler, October 08, 2012, 10:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Looking for recommendations/suggestions on a job ticketing system for a small shop. We do mostly wide format & screen printing along with sheetfed offset.

For those of you who do or have worked in a smaller shop what have you used? Is there an online software that worked for you? Something like PrintSmith is just way overkill for our level of business. I think invoicing is done with Quickbooks if that means anything.

Thx!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

if printsmith is overkill, I'd go with a manual system with NCR sheets. It really depends on the level of staff and workflow you have.

I shopped a few years ago for a place I managed, and it was all very expensive. I wound up printing 4 part ncrs numbered and that worked better than what they had, which was absolutely nothing.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

It's pretty easy to roll your own with FileMaker Pro. You can export any info you create as .csv, .xls, etc...for import into something like Quickbooks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

...we need something on a network (whether remote or local) so every staff member can see all the jobs in the shop, enter new jobs, move them to diff departments, see what's due and when, etc.

Right now this shop is using a free online project management thing called Wunderlist but it's not exactly robust. It would be nice to find something that also generates some sort of consecutive job number.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

We use NCR forms and a cork board for all the jobs we have. Seems to work well enough.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on October 08, 2012, 11:00:56 AM...we need something on a network (whether remote or local) so every staff member can see all the jobs in the shop, enter new jobs, move them to diff departments, see what's due and when, etc.

Right now this shop is using a free online project management thing called Wunderlist but it's not exactly robust. It would be nice to find something that also generates some sort of consecutive job number.

That is pretty much what we use with FileMaker though you have to create it yourself and everyone has to have a copy of FMPro.

Does it need to be Mac or PC or both.

gnubler

Both.

We also have local network "issues" in the shop which is why I've been looking at online services.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: gnubler on October 08, 2012, 11:18:11 AMBoth.

We also have local network "issues" in the shop which is why I've been looking at online services.
So, you'll be in the 'cloud'. :huh:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Joe

AceProject

BaseCamp

ZOHO Projects

Huddle

I think these all have "free" options but the free version may not be enough for what you need.

gnubler

Free is better but you get what you get. We just need something that works.

t-pat

At that same shop I did a shared google docs spreadsheet that I had to manually populate, I used it for scheduling. That place had no money.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Google docs is pretty good. You can also do scheduling with Google calendar.

Syphon

Management uses Printsmith but the bossman writes up a list on paper what everyone needs to get done then makes copies and pass them out. I do not know why he just use something like google docs...oh, yea, I forgot that our management doesn't want to do things efficiently.

Our shops motto is "Three steps forward, Two steps back."  :angry:
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

gnubler

Sounds familiar.

Half our jobs don't get job tickets and there are constant problems because of it. It boggles my mind. I try to decipher the scribbled note or email and then fill out a job ticket form by hand.