Calibrating the copier, I mean digital press

Started by gnubler, December 10, 2012, 01:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

How often do you calibrate your "digital presses"? Do you find a daily calibration provides more reliable color matches, in general?

Do you calibrate to a certain stock before running a color critical job?

Do you never calibrate at all?

explain...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on December 10, 2012, 01:03:47 PMHow often do you calibrate your "digital presses"? Do you find a daily calibration provides more reliable color matches, in general?

Do you calibrate to a certain stock before running a color critical job?

Do you never calibrate at all?

explain...

we use one of our x700s exclusively for low res proofs, and "digital press" proofs, it's supposed to be calibrated every morning by the dude that gets here at 5 am.
In production, they do whatever they have to do to match whatever it is they need to match. Or not.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Xerox recommends daily. We do it every time we switch papers, and calibrate for that paper.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Duffy

My 6501 I calibrted weekly, Monday Am thing, and before any run of 3000 or more.
No reason for that number other than it seemed good enough for most smaller runs as calibrated but I really did not want a large run rejected because I would mark the calibration step on the job tickets.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

David

We do the xerox 700 every day, but then we also "tweek" the curves to make further adjustments to match.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

Canon Imagepress 6000. surprisingly, it holds calibration fairly well

i calibrate it weekly, to 28# hammermill color copy (canon spec'd) -

i only need to hit one PMS color, the rest of the stuff through the thing originates from some MS product, so i dont take color too seriously.

gnubler

What is the reasoning behind doing a cal for longer runs? Once I match color it seems to stick throughout the run, no matter how long.

Duffy

Quote from: gnubler on December 10, 2012, 10:45:09 PMWhat is the reasoning behind doing a cal for longer runs? Once I match color it seems to stick throughout the run, no matter how long.
Because, I found that when I proof a job out with a note that the unit had been calibrated before the proof, the proof always returned with no color corrections and then I know that I am at a good state to begin with on the proof and the run.

I only calibrated once per week so on Friday the color was always 3-4 delta from baseline...if I began a long run then from a proof on Monday it may drift another 1-2 delta and then it would be rejected.
Also, when the 6501 does a internal calibration, it often shifted more than if I did a manual calibration - not sure why but then again it is a copier and color is not designed for longs.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

Possum

I calibrate once a week. Our tech says you can apply the one calibration across all paper types and it's fine, but you hear different things from different people.

We run ours so seldom, color doesn't matter much anyway.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

gnubler

For those that do a routine daily cal...on what stock? 24# bright white laser paper?

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

julyski

With my Xerox 700 w/ Fiery, I always calibrate on the paper for the job.  I used to only calibrate once per day on 28# color copy paper.  But, I noticed that when I run higher g/sm papers, the shadow areas of the print would loose lots of detail.  So, that's when I started calibrating on each and every (white) paper stock.  Works much better.