PressTek Dimension 800 8-up

Started by jimking, March 25, 2008, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Anyone out there have experience with a PressTek Dimension 800 8-up platesetter and PressTek's Chem Free Thermal ctp output solutions? If so can you tell me how reliable it is. Thanks

Marktonk

jimking,

When reviewing CtP, have you considered what plates are available and certified? With our Suprasetter, we offer 4 thermal plates with one being Chemfree. We also have over 40 plates certified on the Suprasetter, so, even though we feel we offer great plates to bundle with our CtP, you are not limited to our plates only.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Santa

We had a Dimension 4000 4-up running Anthem plates back in 2004/5.  Had it for 9 months and we had it de-installed and went with an Agfa Acento running the Azura plates

The Anthem's we ran at the time had no grain and were murder on the press room.  Our Dimension platesetter unit had techs in daily from day one of install until the day we had them pull it out.

All of that was four years ago, but just to put it in perspective we have had one service call, a PM, in the 4 years running the Agfa equipment.

My suggestion, have them run you some test plates and let the pressman run some live jobs, preferably heavy coverage and above 1,000 impressions and see what they think.  Then I would suggest demoing the Azura plates and ask the pressman what they think.

jimking

Quote from: Marktonk  link=topic=1360.msg18731#msg18731 date=1206532767jimking,

When reviewing CtP, have you considered what plates are available and certified? With our Suprasetter, we offer 4 thermal plates with one being Chemfree. We also have over 40 plates certified on the Suprasetter, so, even though we feel we offer great plates to bundle with our CtP, you are not limited to our plates only.

Regards,

Mark
Morning Mark. We're looking for used equipment. Price is important to us because we are struggling to say the least. We are also concerned about a CTPs diode set up, not fixed but an array. We'd prefer an array because we can switch out diodes one at a time instead of the hole laser unit if things fail. PressTek got our attention because of the diode setup and its chem free plates. Screen is the other one we've been looking at. My understanding about PressTek plates is all they need is a water bath, no gum involved and it seems these plates (now) have a good rep. Also, what is the smallest plate the Suprasetter can burn?

jimking

Quote from: Santa on March 26, 2008, 06:15:34 AMWe had a Dimension 4000 4-up running Anthem plates back in 2004/5.  Had it for 9 months and we had it de-installed and went with an Agfa Acento running the Azura plates

The Anthem's we ran at the time had no grain and were murder on the press room.  Our Dimension platesetter unit had techs in daily from day one of install until the day we had them pull it out.

All of that was four years ago, but just to put it in perspective we have had one service call, a PM, in the 4 years running the Agfa equipment.

My suggestion, have them run you some test plates and let the pressman run some live jobs, preferably heavy coverage and above 1,000 impressions and see what they think.  Then I would suggest demoing the Azura plates and ask the pressman what they think.

We've just got quotes of the Azura and a used Avalon 8up Platesetter. My concern with this is the price (as always) and I've heard rumors from a few people that Avalon is being discontinued but the rep who quoted the price said they are coming out with a new Avalon and terminating the old. Agfa seems to be a little unstable lately with rumors about take overs and such. My understanding is the plates still use gum? If so, is this an issue at all?

Marktonk

jimking,

What press sizes do you need? Suprasetter 105 will image:

Around the drum (Height): from 370 mm (14.6") to 930 mm (36.6")
Along the drum (Width): from 323 mm (12.7") to 1140 mm (44.9")

We also have an entry level Suprasetter A105 that will image a little smaller format:

Around the drum (Height):From 370 mm to 930 mm (14.5 to 36.6")
Along the drum (Width):From 323 mm to 1.055 mm (12.7 to 41.5")

There are also some advantage to our laser. It has a wide depth of focus so you will not get hot spots from dust on drum. It has a 10 micron spots size and is rated for up to 400 line screen (plate dependent). Suprasetter has an integrated debris removal system.

We do offer internal punching as an option and also automation.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

beermonster

jimking

hi mate

yeah i've been told the avalon is done with, and they are getting A.N. other manufacturer to make their ctp - now I couldnt actually get the rep to SAY it, but if i said it sounds like "scream", is japanese, they already make stuff for fuji etc - maybe you can figure who "they wouldnt say" it is.....

I said screw that why buy a screen machine from agfa then when i can buy it from screen...

did i just say that or was that one of the voices in my head speaking out of turn again :embarrassed:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beermonster

the gummer

well - if you use azura you might just negotiate the use of a free gummer <i managed to do it> and stacker - try ya luck

the unit itself is kind of self cleaning - it has a self clean button - you replace the 5ltr gum tub with a 5ltr water tub and it rinses itself - and the waste gum, depending on local authority rules, can go down the sink too. dont leave the gum/wash out too long as the residue from the clean out (which is in the tub) can get re-deposited on the plate if left too long.

i believe after a couple of self cleans you take out the 6 rollers and rinse them off - takes about half hour in total i think. my waste disposal, when i get it all, will be about 15 5ltr tubs of gum/water mix per YEAR.

azura is a slow plate - half the speed of your platesetter for it. azura TS (son of azura) is out at drupa and will enable the platesetter to go about 75 - 80% full speed (approx)

if you decide to buy screen ctp, azura will run nicely through most screen ctp - except the 8600. you will need to install a special residue extraction system - the 8600 seems to create ablation debris - so i'm waiting on a boardroom decision on a new screen 8300 with azura plates

sorry its not presstek info - hope this helps
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jimking

Quote from: Marktonk  link=topic=1360.msg18904#msg18904 date=1206574314jimking,

What press sizes do you need? Suprasetter 105 will image:

Around the drum (Height): from 370 mm (14.6") to 930 mm (36.6")
Along the drum (Width): from 323 mm (12.7") to 1140 mm (44.9")

We also have an entry level Suprasetter A105 that will image a little smaller format:

Around the drum (Height):From 370 mm to 930 mm (14.5 to 36.6")
Along the drum (Width):From 323 mm to 1.055 mm (12.7 to 41.5")

There are also some advantage to our laser. It has a wide depth of focus so you will not get hot spots from dust on drum. It has a 10 micron spots size and is rated for up to 400 line screen (plate dependent). Suprasetter has an integrated debris removal system.

We do offer internal punching as an option and also automation.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Beer for the info! Mark, we have 2 40" Millers and several small press, so, we need a CTP 
that will image 40" and smaller, like 12x17 or 19" I'm guessing.