Stochastic Query

Started by EyeTech, January 08, 2008, 02:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeTech

We've a new potential client who has asked us to quote on a 200pp booklet - on examining the sample it has been screened stochastically. Looks like FM (Cristal raster) rather than cross modulated (aka Sublima) - my question is, since we have an Apogee workflow, is there any method of 'trying out' a stochastic screen before we commit to the quotation.

At present we do not have the option for stochastic within Apogee - I believe it can be added after throwing some €,£,$ at AGFA (does anyone know how much we could expect to be charged?)
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Gutnbg

I don't, but I am an optimist.

You are a potential client, too. Can you talk to your Agfa rep about trying out the Cristal Raster option?
Isn't that what they mean by "partnering?"
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

EyeTech

Good idea - however last time we saw anyone from AGFA they charged 450.00 gbp for tightening a small cap head screw on the cassette shutter blind drive!!

I'll give it go ...
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

beermonster

they will make a set of plates for you if you ask nicely, with that screening - they will probably charge to implement it in your apogee, but hell thet's their job.

they did for me, a set of azura's - and it worked a dream.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

We really liked Crystal Raster, when we were ripping .ps directly to 3 Agfa imagesetters, IMO it rates as the best FM screening.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

DigitalCrapShoveler

The problem with AGFA is that they act like the customer instead of the vendor, this will be their downfall. It happened to Lino, Scitex, etc.. If you want anything from them you will be charged through the roof. BUT, if they see future potential sales from you, they might demo. Worth a try.
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 11, 2008, 01:31:27 PMThe problem with AGFA is that they act like the customer instead of the vendor, this will be their downfall. It happened to Lino, Scitex, etc.. If you want anything from them you will be charged through the roof. BUT, if they see future potential sales from you, they might demo. Worth a try.

and here I thought I was the only one that felt that wau about them.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Oh no... I am sure many feel this way, at least those of us with AGFA crap.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Maybe someone here on the forum can help you out with some plates if they have what it takes!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

EyeTech

Anyone running Crystal raster on Palladio 30? I'm being told it's not available since Palladios can't image the smaller dot sizes. Runs in the face of what I was told by previous sales people.

Laurens

I am afraid that it is correct that you cannot run 20 micron CristalRaster on a Palladio.

EDIT: What I actually mean is: the combination of engine, plate & offset printing process make it impossible to use 20 micron stochastic screening with a Palladio (In evaluating screening technologies, the entire production chain is as important as every individual component).
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site