Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use Illustrator as a PDF editor?

Yes
26 (57.8%)
No
19 (42.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

ratintrap

I figured this would be a nice anonymous way for us to get a feeling for how much of the Illy PDF editing goes on.

Joe

I don't. I rarely have access to the fonts used and if you don't have the fonts it useless.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

I will select an object in Acrobat and edit the individual object in Illustrator but I don't actually open the PDF with Illustrator. :undecided:

DigiCorn

I do, when it's needed and it's possible. I always try PitStop first, and if it's too complicated for PitStop (graduated screen, etc.) I'll use Illustrator. If there's a lot of fonts/text, etc., then only if it's error free when opening. No font errors, etc. And we usually print out a proof and go to the light table to check it out.

If it's a change that requires major text edits, etc., I will set the text/corrections in Illustrator and save as a pdf. Then I use PitStop to cut and paste/replace the edited portion.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

Yes, I don't have Pitstop.
We will have the customer outline fonts if needed.

I suppose I could also place into InDesign to do most of what i need to do, but Illustrator works for me most of the time.

delooch

always try pitstop first, trying to break old habits.  sometimes you have to do whats necessary though. always outline fonts before opening in illy. good tutorial somewhere on b4print.  usually end up doing this to lift graphics from jobs to use for something else.

Chilbear

I do because the dumb a$$ designer has given me a PDF that has the die line on the artwork. I pick off the dieline and save and also delete the copy and keep the dieline for the router. Lucky that I have the primo customer fonts always loading at startup. Also nice that I know what version the De$igner uses and I match the version of CS - soon to be CS5.

David

I do it if I'm feeling frisky...

actually, I don't need to open them in Illy. I have Pitstop, Esko and a few other ways to edit PDFs.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

determined

I used to do it before I got Pitstop here.....it was never fun   :angry:
Murphy must have been in printing....

Captain_Type

Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Farabomb

Only after I exhausted all other options. I have been bitten before and would rather not have it happen again. The one next to me uses it as the first option because learning pitstop takes too long.  :rolleyes:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

almaink

When all else (Pit Stop, refrying) fails, I'll use it. Fonts don't bother me, as I'll convert all fonts to outlines before I try to edit in Illy.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

ninjaPB_43

It's probably not fair for me to vote since I haven't edited a PDF in over a year, but when I was, I NEVER bothered. I could always make magic happen with Pitstop/Acrobat.

I did on the other hand occasionally open PDF's sent from our interior designers, because I knew without a doubt they had used Illustrator to create the PDF and we shared the same font database. But that's not the issue here.

:ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

50-50 on the results so far. Adobe will not be pleased. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Rabid

As a last resort , IF Pitstop fails, and after outlining the fonts. So maybe once a year.