Font issues with placed PDFs using ID CS4/CS5/Snow Leopard

Started by ratintrap, December 07, 2010, 06:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

I just heard that the head office has been having font issues with InDesign files that have ads PDFs placed in them and are then exported as PDFs themselves. I guess the problem cropped up when they got new Minis that came with Snow Leopard installed. The problem occurs in CS4 and CS5.

The solution that is being put forth is to save all ads as EPSs, apparently the placed EPSs eliminate the problem. We are using 10.5 so the problem hasn't affected us. For consistency's sake, they do want us to move to using EPSs rather than PDFs for the ads. This means that we will have to convert all of the fill ads that we use to EPS, something I'd rather not do if there is a better solution out there somewhere. Anyone heard of this? Any solutions?

The other thing that they want us to do is print our finished pages as PostScript and then distill them as PDFs rather than exporting to PDF. This all seems like a step backward to me. I asked if this was most likely a temporary fix and was told it probably wouldn't be temporary. I asked if the problem had anything to to with a particular type of font or not but they said it didn't.

Any input would be appreciated. (be nice DCS  :grin:)

frailer

Original Placed PDFs maybe have non-embedded font 'issues'?  What a crap solution, though. I feel for you, rat.  Joe will post..."PostScript is dead!"     :grin:

I don't suppose they're anywhere near (skill/time/bother), running a Cache cleaning utility, like the one inside Cocktail. Maybe you could suggest they run it on trial. That would at least rule out corrupt font caches.

...or applejack. But then you'd become Moss...or Roy. (Try switching off and on again...)

...seem to recall an earlier discussion about SL and older fonts. I'll look around.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

There's this, over Laurens' way SL and fonts

Also, Kurt Lang is da man, when it comes to OSX and fonts.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

ratintrap

I forgot to mention what the font issue is. I believe that the technical description is that they go all wonky. A line of text that should look like this "we've been having font issues" ends up looking like this "X O      ¨¥˙ˆ¨ˆøπøπ...  ∫˙˙∆∫øøøøø." I haven't seen the problem myself so I'm just guessing.

The ad PDFs in question are mostly produced in-house so I'm assuming the fonts are embedded as they should be. Seems like that would be one of the first things they would have checked when the problem cropped up.

As far as I know the problem is not limited to just one computer. Would Cache cleaning be the likely issue in that case?

When the new company took over I mentioned applejack to the IT person and he hadn't heard of it.

It's been mentioned on the forum that PDF = good, EPS = bad so the EPS solution did seem a bit strange to me. :undecided:

frailer

Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2010, 06:39:35 PM:blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

SHOOT ME NOW!!!

OK, I'll just go and get my late Dad's old Winchester pump-action .22. It'll be slow, and painful, unfortunately.   :sad:  Sorry.

ratintrap

frailer

Quote from: ratintrap on December 07, 2010, 06:42:23 PMI forgot to mention what the font issue is. I believe that the technical description is that they go all wonky. A line of text that should look like this "we've been having font issues" ends up looking like this "X O      ¨¥˙ˆ¨ˆøπøπ...  ∫˙˙∆∫øøøøø." I haven't seen the problem myself so I'm just guessing.

The ad PDFs in question are mostly produced in-house so I'm assuming the fonts are embedded as they should be. Seems like that would be one of the first things they would have checked when the problem cropped up.

As far as I know the problem is not limited to just one computer. Would Cache cleaning be the likely issue in that case?

When the new company took over I mentioned applejack to the IT person and he hadn't heard of it.

It's been mentioned on the forum that PDF = good, EPS = bad so the EPS solution did seem a bit strange to me. :undecided:

Red = I guess not.

Quoteso the EPS solution did seem a bit strange to me.

Ignorance, and unwillingness to investigate it, am guessing.  My Maytag just broke down. Better fire up the old copper kettle...wash them thar clothes...   :sarcasm:

I bet it's not all fonts, but I bet it's one or 2 older Type 1s. Helvetica Neue conflicting is an old favourite. (Apple's same-named-but-different vs. one inside a job). But it could be one or 2 others as well, so they think it's all. A guess, again. Looks like a glyph substitution gone awry.

Joe

Quote from: ratintrap on December 07, 2010, 06:43:09 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 07, 2010, 06:39:35 PM:blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

SHOOT ME NOW!!!

I thought that might be your reaction. :wink:

I would suggest going back to paper boards and pasting up. That will fix a lot of headaches for them. :sarcasm:

Seriously though it's laziness on their part and applying a band-aid to a gash instead of a tourniquet. It will slow the bleeding down but you will eventually bleed to death.

I suggest they get off of their lazy asses and fix the problem instead of treating the symptoms.

Sorry, this kind of behavior toasts my buns.

frailer

Joe

Quote from: ratintrap on December 07, 2010, 06:08:48 PMFor consistency's sake, they do want us to move to using EPSs rather than PDFs for the ads.

EPS is a dying file format. PDF is THE standard these days. Anyone with half a brain knows this but when you let IT dictate how prepress operates this is what you end up with. Stupidity.

frailer

It's that old IT phobia..."It's a Mac...break out the crosses and garlic!"    :shocked:

...or, more likely, don't want to look like Ignorant Turds. Let's go around the problem, rather than solve it. We could go on; and probably will.    :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: ratintrap on December 07, 2010, 06:42:23 PMI forgot to mention what the font issue is. I believe that the technical description is that they go all wonky. A line of text that should look like this "we've been having font issues" ends up looking like this "X O      ¨¥˙ˆ¨ˆøπøπ...  ∫˙˙∆∫øøøøø." I haven't seen the problem myself so I'm just guessing.

I have to ask what the head office does with your files? I thought you made the files for the printer? I can guarantee that if those files display OK for you using ACrobat on OS 10.5.8 that they will display fine in Acrobat 9 on OS 10.6.x. I will also guarantee that if it is the printer have those kinds of problems that they have an older RIP. If that is the case there isn't much you can do about it and you might need to revert to older file formats but I would revert to making PDF X1a files before reverting back to EPS's. Unless the printer has a RIP so archaic it won't do anything with a PDF I would not want to go down the EPS path.

Have I mentioned  :death: ?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on December 07, 2010, 07:20:22 PMIt's that old IT phobia..."It's a Mac...break out the crosses and garlic!"    :shocked:

...or, more likely, don't want to look like Ignorant Turds. Let's go around the problem, rather than solve it. We could go on; and probably will.    :laugh:

FAIL! They already do. (Not you Rat...I know we've taught you better than that. :laugh: )

frailer

Good point. Your workflow's different to most of us, rat. Who in the foodchain is first experiencing this?   :undecided: