arrows to increase or decrease the font size aren't working

Started by ratintrap, January 26, 2011, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

A coworker is having a problem with font sizing in InDesign.  The arrows to increase or decrease the font size won't work, but the leading does and typing in a specific size in the field works.  The odd thing about it is that it doesn't work in the InDesign Dock, but works fine in the Character palate.  He tried throwing the preferences away, tried a new document, restarted it, etc.., but it still isn't working.

Joe

He could try shutting InDesign down. Hold down shift+control+option+command and restarting InDesign. This will wipe out all preferences and reset InDesign to its default state. I find it more effective than just dumping the plist file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ratintrap

I'll have him try that when he gets back from lunch. Thanks!

KappAdv

Also applejack cleans up some things.  I couldn't even start InDesign without it crashing earlier today, ran applejack and good as new.

ratintrap

He shut his computer down at lunch and started it up when he came back and everything is fine now. :undecided:

gnubler

Quote from: ratintrap on January 26, 2011, 01:11:11 PMHe shut his computer down at lunch and started it up when he came back and everything is fine now. :undecided:

Google and Obama probably did something to it while he was away.  :toaster:  Or the magic of quark.  :tongue:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: ratintrap on January 26, 2011, 01:11:11 PMHe shut his computer down at lunch and started it up when he came back and everything is fine now. :undecided:

The lesson here is that restart and shutdown are not the same thing. I always shutdown and let the computer set for 30 seconds and then start it back up when I am troubleshooting. Just restarting does not reset all of the hardware. There have been many times when restart does not fix an issue but shutdown and start back up does.

ratintrap

Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2011, 01:41:44 PM

The lesson here is that restart and shutdown are not the same thing. I always shutdown and let the computer set for 30 seconds and then start it back up when I am troubleshooting. Just restarting does not reset all of the hardware. There have been many times when restart does not fix an issue but shutdown and start back up does.

Ahhh. I'll definitely keep that in mind. :wink:

David

Quote from: Joe on January 26, 2011, 01:41:44 PMThe lesson here ...

will there be a pop quiz?

I didn't take notes...

my dog ate my homework...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 27, 2011, 08:20:11 AM

I didn't take notes...

Just for that mister you have detention the rest of the week.

youston

Quote from: Joe on January 27, 2011, 11:33:08 AM

I didn't take notes...

When I was a kid, we had a dog named Dammit. My dad named him that in the hopes that one day I would tell a teacher, "Well, Dammit the dog ate my homework." Never happened.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I didn't take notes...

but I have to go to band practice after school!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: youston on January 27, 2011, 11:35:54 AM

I didn't take notes...

When I was a kid, we had a dog named Dammit. My dad named him that in the hopes that one day I would tell a teacher, "Well, Dammit the dog ate my homework." Never happened.

...so the perverse humour's been handed down.    :laugh:  Ever glance in a mirror and see your old man? I do.    :embarrassed:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.