Metrix

Started by Stiv, December 08, 2008, 05:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

Anyone have any experience with it?

What did you use before?

RiotMac

we are looking into this software. All I know is it looks flippin sweet.  :afro:

born2print

FWIW, I am an occasional UpFront user and I can offer comparison notes...
We liked Metrix better when we first looked into planning software, but the company is in bed with SciCreoDak so we had no choice.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

we use Metrix here, and by use it, I mean we have it and the CSRs use it to make layouts and then print them out to a laser and then we re-do the layout in Esko Imposition.

we use to use Upfront...
we now use Prism with Metrix.

do you need any specific info or just putting out feelers?

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

Quote from: david on December 15, 2008, 11:35:19 AMwe use Metrix here, and by use it, I mean we have it and the CSRs use it to make layouts and then print them out to a laser and then we re-do the layout in Esko Imposition.

we use to use Upfront...

Putting out feelers for now. Saw a demo and me likey. The jobs get planned then we redo the templates in Preps. Sound familiar? What if the templates were made from the start as in when the job is being planned/quoted? Then use JDF to place the pages. And the skies are not cloudy all day....

Am I dreaming or does it sound possible?

born2print

It's possible, however, there's a learning curve... Upfront and Metrix have a lot more details and components and ways to skin a cat than just simply making a .tpl in Preps. You'll be having to kick stuff back and help the estimators and planners learn as they go / remake templates from scratch at night when they're gone and give them feedback the next day. Is it all worth it? Yes.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

yeah, Metrix is good, but you have to teach the estimators/csr's how to do imposition...
not an easy task, I know from experience.
It's always, "why can't I make a pocket folder work like a pocket folder (when you're supplied with a piecemeal doc with all the parts but not built to a die)...
or, I want to do a simple 6 page tri-fold, but it won't let me number it right (meaning they number it wrong all the time and metrix does it "different")...

the usual stuff.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

whoami

Hello all,

We don't do a lot of books here.  In fact we do about 2 - 5 a year.  Our work is mostly one sheets, mini posters, packaging and stuff like that.  We are looking into how JDF can help us with automation or maybe job tracking or inventory tracking.  To me the most obvious way to implement JDF is our prepress department.  I'm hoping Metrix can help with this.  Was metrix made with imposing books in mind? or are things like one sheets and mini posters and odd shaped packages something Metrix can easily deal with and automate?  Any feedback?  Thanks in advance.

-Adam

zox

Quote from: Stiv on December 16, 2008, 08:29:51 AM
Quote from: david on December 15, 2008, 11:35:19 AMwe use Metrix here, and by use it, I mean we have it and the CSRs use it to make layouts and then print them out to a laser and then we re-do the layout in Esko Imposition.

we use to use Upfront...

Putting out feelers for now. Saw a demo and me likey. The jobs get planned then we redo the templates in Preps. Sound familiar? What if the templates were made from the start as in when the job is being planned/quoted? Then use JDF to place the pages. And the skies are not cloudy all day....

Am I dreaming or does it sound possible?

I don't know about Metrix, but you described exactly our workflow with Signa station and Printready.
Our planners plan the job and create layout, their final result is JDF.
Desktop operators import JDF into job and voila, you have layout waiting to be populated with PDF pages, very slick.

Of course, this can be fully automated.

frailer

Hmm, glance over your shoulder.   

QuoteMetrix automatically calculates layouts in seconds, saving potentially thousands of dollars in highly skilled labor costs every month.

But it applies to all sorts of stuff we're doing. There's no stopping simplify/automate. Whether what they claim is 55% or 95% of what's delivered would be the rub, I guess.

Interesting that 2 levels of it can export PREPSĀ® Templates though.   Am still trying to assess the on-board imposition capability of Fuji's XMF workflow, as well. As part of my "dream on, boy", assessment.    :undecided:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.