Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

And what is the user name that you are logging into the NAS from the Mac?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 01:22:04 PM
So this NAS used to work OK until the last NAS firmware update? Can you revert to the previous option? I'm guessing no. >:(

Nope no going back.  :(
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 01:25:07 PM
So this folder you posted this screen grab of (attached)...that is folder on the NAS that you created on the Mac and then copied over to the NAS? And these are the permissions that are showing when you click on the folder when it is on the NAS share and do a COMMAND+i on your Mac?

Somehow they were the same. I've changed it to now say read & write on all the things and will see if that changes anything.

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 01:29:20 PM
And what is the user name that you are logging into the NAS from the Mac?

We use the ncg user name to log into the Mac, either with SMB or AFP. The Macs have always been called imac1 and imac2. I don't know why that's just how they were setup a long time ago before I came aboard.

Joe

OK from this screen grab info that you posted...what appears to be happening is:

imac1 has read and write access but you are trying to delete the file while logged into the NAS as ncg. But ncg does not have read and write access.

By default "everyone" is set to read only. You can probably change that to read and write and also click the button I mentioned earlier to apply to all enclosed objects or whatever it said. But this may become tiresome to have to keep doing this. The best option would be to have the NAS give read and write access to everyone. Not as secure but it works better. Unless you are working in high security job this is what I would try if the NAS has a setting for that.

Joe

There may also be some kind of setting in your NAS to not copy file permissions when copying files to the NAS and to use the NAS permissions. If you have that setting that might be the best thing to try.

AaronH

Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of options with this thing. Honestly it might be the worst system made for networking.

I can't edit everything to have read & write permissions. Finder tells me I don't have permission to do that.

I also can't do it from the server side. It's just a little box with 5 hard drives and a little linux OS by seagate called NAS OS. The only interface it has is a webpage you need to be local to access it and a little file browser built into the web interface that doesn't have permissions listed anywhere in it.

I am finding that every folder I make on this computer is set to staff and everyone as read only. Do you know how I can make the default new folder set to read & write?

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on August 09, 2019, 01:53:36 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of options with this thing. Honestly it might be the worst system made for networking.

I can't edit everything to have read & write permissions. Finder tells me I don't have permission to do that.

I also can't do it from the server side. It's just a little box with 5 hard drives and a little linux OS by seagate called NAS OS. The only interface it has is a webpage you need to be local to access it and a little file browser built into the web interface that doesn't have permissions listed anywhere in it.

I am finding that every folder I make on this computer is set to staff and everyone as read only. Do you know how I can make the default new folder set to read & write?

Yeah I don't think Apple will let you do that. It would make your computer horribly insecure. I think what happened is the latest firmware instituted some new security updates and what worked before now is not.

What does your NAS software look like when creating a new share? Can you post a screen shot of it?

AaronH

Ah ok.

Here are screenshots of making a new share.

Joe

In that first screen grab...have you tried checking the box for 'public'. That would basically give everyone read & write access. Which is not secure but if it is on a closed network I would give it a shot.

AaronH

Same permissions issues on the new share. In windows we're seeing a Permissions are out of Order error when you try to view them. No user, admin or otherwise is able to change permissions or attempt to fix them.

I don't know what to do and Seagate's support page for this box and NAS OS are dead. I'm almost thinking we need new hardware.

Joe

Joe

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 03:32:24 PM
Even a new share with 'public' checked?

Yep. Its a no go.

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 03:36:35 PM
And have you had a look at this page?

https://www.lacie.com/support/software/apps/nas-os/

You may want to have a look at this page too:

https://www.seagate.com/manuals/network-storage/business-storage-nas-os-4/shares-access-and-transfer-files/

Yeah those are the manuals I've been using to figure this thing out. That's how the shares were setup too.