Indesign Spontaneous Swatch Change

Started by pabney, September 13, 2018, 07:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Glad you found a solution. I was thinking that perhaps you or the customer had an ICC profile applied in Bridge that was changing the profile.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pabney

Although I found what I believe to have happened. This still requires a menu selection (no default keyboard shortcut) and a dialog which has to be ok'd. So I still don't know how this could happen without the operator knowing it.

Joe

Yes definitely "edit->convert to profile" will change color values. I see of no way someone can do this 'accidentally'.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

I don't like to call anyone a liar but your employee is a prime suspect at this point. Check out the Convert to Profile dialog box from the original document and the same one for the wrong document.

[attach width=400]18990[/attach][attach width=400]18992[/attach]

See the difference for the Source Space for both RGB and CMYK.

pabney

Actually I have found that if the color settings are set to convert to color space, AND ask when opening are not checked, then this can happen without a dialog box. The first time a small dialog opens, but it has the option to "do not display again"

That being said, I have an applescript in the Indesign start up folder that checks to ensure these settings are correct, and if not to fix it. So even without the dialog box, this should not happen without going into the color settings and changing them.

Joe

Well the source space for each document is different. Somewhere along the way it got changed.

Joe

Why are the modification dates so whacked on both of your InDesign documents? Original is May 27, 2097 and the Wrong is Apr 21, 1986.

Having the date wrong on a computer can wreak havoc in a lot of strange ways.

[attach width=400]18994[/attach]

pabney

Not sure why they are showing up that way. Not that way here.

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on September 13, 2018, 12:54:03 PMI don't like to call anyone a liar but your employee is a prime suspect at this point. Check out the Convert to Profile dialog box from the original document and the same one for the wrong document.

Joe's Columbo'n it :laugh:

born2print

Oh, there is just one more thing...
October 9th is Columbo day
 8)  8)
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 13, 2018, 01:45:30 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 13, 2018, 12:54:03 PMI don't like to call anyone a liar but your employee is a prime suspect at this point. Check out the Convert to Profile dialog box from the original document and the same one for the wrong document.

Joe's Columbo'n it :laugh:

I think we need to bring that prepress operator in for questioning! :D

Tracy

Just a couple more questions sir!  :laugh:

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?