Command Workstation VDP

Started by Joe, September 15, 2017, 08:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

We had 450 variable job the other day that had a full page image on each page (same image on each page) with the variable data which was basically a number at the top and bottom of the image. Took over5 hours to RIP. (only 20 minutes to print)

There must be a better way.

Anyone have any idea or sources on how to use the VDP from within Command Workstation? I am using CWS ver. 6.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

From FusionPro, send the data as a compressed .zip and CWS can read and decompress the file in seconds.

If there is a common portion, you can send that and mark it in CWS as a MASTER. Then you can send the variable separate and mark it as an IMPRINT and marry the two together in CWS.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I need to practice the Variable Data Master It really is the way to go.

This may sound bad but If you Press Quality that pdf instead of X4 it
It goes way faster, sometimes I can't get CW to rip a large variable X4pdf
I never waited 5 hours tho.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 15, 2017, 09:06:17 AMFrom FusionPro, send the data as a compressed .zip and CWS can read and decompress the file in seconds.

If there is a common portion, you can send that and mark it in CWS as a MASTER. Then you can send the variable separate and mark it as an IMPRINT and marry the two together in CWS.

No Fusion Pro.

t-pat

You may want to look at PDF/VT for an option. I've used it in certain scenarios to help rip speed for VDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/VT

edit: this was recommended to me by someone at Xeikon, and it really helped on some 100K+ jobs we ran. Worth a read of the wiki in any case.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on September 15, 2017, 09:15:52 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 15, 2017, 09:06:17 AMFrom FusionPro, send the data as a compressed .zip and CWS can read and decompress the file in seconds.

No Fusion Pro.
Are you doing normal mail merge from InDesign, or are you using XMPie or other VDP software?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I want to use just the VDP option from within CWS:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

I assume I would just have to have the data PDF containing the variable date somehow linked in to go with a Master PDF of just the image that repeats on all pages. But nothing in VDP dialog makes sense. If you click 'Create Master' menu all you see is:

[attachimg=2 width=400]

The list goes up to 100. Same with 'Use Master' menu.

And clicking any option on those menus does absolutely nothing.

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on September 15, 2017, 09:30:48 AMYou may want to look at PDF/VT for an option. I've used it in certain scenarios to help rip speed for VDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/VT

edit: this was recommended to me by someone at Xeikon, and it really helped on some 100K+ jobs we ran. Worth a read of the wiki in any case.

I'll take a read at it but if costs more than a nickel they will wait for the 5 hours before spending any money on a faster solution.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on September 15, 2017, 12:36:30 PMI'll take a read at it but if costs more than a nickel they will wait for the 5 hours before spending any money on a faster solution.

It should not be any cost for the consumer device (output device like RIP) - it's APPE compliant and part of the pdf X standard. As far as the producer, it's an option in my GMC software without it being an additional license, just an option in the PDF engine. If GMC didn't charge extra it's unlikely anyone else does because GMC loves to charge for erryfuckinthing.
vdp donkey

t-pat

Re-reading your posts, "Master" may only work with the /VT as that's kind of how it works.

"
While PDF/VT-1 always consists of a self-contained file, other variants of the standard support the use of external graphic content (PDF/VT-2) as well as streaming through the use of multi-part MIME packages (PDF/VT-2s). In addition to being a digital master for VDP printing, it can be shared, viewed and interactively navigated by human operators using a normal PDF reader, though completely accurate rendering requires a PDF/X-4 or PDF/VT conforming viewer.
"
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Set all your common items to the MASTER page. You can have multiple master pages defined. Send your VDP file and then assign the appropriate master with the pulldown just to the right of what's shown in your screenshot. You can't rename them, so you'll have to KNOW which art is on 1, 2, 3 etc. You MUST process and hold, or the VDP file won't *see* the master.

(Sounds like an episode of The Strain, Sundays on FX).
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

aha! process and hold
I am trying this too :)

Tracy

Ok I'm getting somewhere, I'm selecting Printer as I print to the CW
see screen shot, everything was going ok till I started output
It says some properties are mismatched, I have to keep trying
I'm almost there!!
So I created Master 1 and Used master 1 on the other file
as I was printing to CW

Joe

Tracy, are you printing from Acrobat or InDesign?

Tracy

Acrobat, select printer before you print and select printer features
you may be able to do all the settings in CW without going thru the print settings
not sure yet :laugh:
I'm getting over to CW ok
and my data file sees my Master, but I have a conflict
I think all the properties have to be exact, I got it to preview 
with the master and the data together but something happened. :(