Preps upgrade $$$?

Started by Exploded, April 17, 2008, 03:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

I found an old copy of Preps 4.2 at work and I want to upgrade it to latest Pro version.

Anyone got any idea how much this will cost and if it is possible?

DCurry

I did this last year and it cost $995, plus $150 to upgrade the dongle.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

Really? I just did it in January (4.2 - 5.3.1 same dongle) and it while it was $995 direct from Kodak, we bargained with our Pitman rep. and got it for $895 total plus a box of plates, with no dongle upgrade needed.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Should be fine on that dongle as long as it's USB. Preps 5.x ROCKS!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

LRob

We have never gotten charged for a dongle upgrade. I think it is part of our service contract.

DCurry

My dongle was old and wouldn't work with the upgrade. I actually upgraded 2 versions, and on one version I didn't need a new dongle.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

You know, I might be wrong on the price. I just reread the post and realized we have Preps Plus, not Preps Pro. Sorry if I mis-quoted you on the price. BTW, the more I think about it, the more I think we only paid between $400 and $600 for that sucker.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

LRob

What's the dif. between preps plus and pro?

Joe

Pro has more features. (Preps ganging, multiple sigs, Web Growth Compensation)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

LRob

Exploded

I got a upgrade price of $995 USD or something. I would really love 3 copies of pro for each work station. Does anyone know if you can buy a licence pack or something?

New I know it is about $9000 a pop and I don't think the boss will go for bill for $19 000 of impo software.

DigiCorn

In the past, at several different employers, we bought one copy of the software, but installed at multiple workstations. We made a common template and marks database on a shared server. Then we just passed the dongle around as needed. Unethical and probably illegal yes. But I didn't own those companies, so it wasn't my call. Now I work solo, so it's not an issue.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Exploded

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on April 24, 2008, 08:49:26 AMIn the past, at several different employers, we bought one copy of the software, but installed at multiple workstations. We made a common template and marks database on a shared server. Then we just passed the dongle around as needed. Unethical and probably illegal yes. But I didn't own those companies, so it wasn't my call. Now I work solo, so it's not an issue.

Yes I have worked at a few places that have used the pass the dongle method.  It works but is a pain in the arse to parse the dongle around all the time. It would be easier if Preps stopped charging like wounded bulls on multi licenses.

Joe

We've used the "pass the dongle method" but watch out. Dongles were not made to be handled that much and ours is getting ragged like it's about to fall apart. We stopped doing it for this reason. You would be better off to plug it into an external USB hub and then pass that around. I don't think there is anything illegal about doing this since you are using it on just one machine at a time which is what EULA's usually read though I have to admit I've never read the one for Preps.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Our stations all use the same license, but can only be running one at a time. There's no hardware dongle that I'm aware of, it's software controlled now. Preps Plus Ver5.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.